What did you do to save $ today?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sold $260 at the farmer's market Sat, then another $50 from people stopping in at the house to buy soap, lettuce, eggs.
Sold $8 in extra eggs to a friend Sun.
Today, just the usual hanging clothes on the line, using vinegar for rinse aid, laundry with own detergent, making own food, etc.

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Blue Egg Jo said:
I bought some roasted Virginia peanuts and they were $2.49 a pound. But I only used a half pound and it filled up a pint size jar. I know that the jars you buy in the store are bigger, but I didn't need to add many ingredients, just a T. of honey and oil. I put the peanuts in the food processor and processed until they started sticking into clumps, then I added the honey and oil while the processor was going. Blend until smooth if you like smooth.
What kind of oil? how much? I'm not good at "eyeing" things ... lol

My bf's son basically lives on peanut butter and I'd love to be able to make it so that it's cheaper ...

Blue Egg Jo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
;) I just eye stuff lol, especially if it's not baking, I don't want to dirty my little teaspoon and have to wash it.
Ok, for a 1/2 lb for peanuts I used 2 T. of pure honey and about 2 T. of canola oil. I'd like to use sunflower oil or even coconut oil but I didn't have those on hand and I really didn't want to use olive oil!
The expense depends on how much per lb your peanuts are and of course if you are comparing store quality to home-made quality :) I know if I bought the "natural" peanut butter I would spend close to $3.50 for a jar and it's not as good as this stuff...

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This weekend I enforced the court order between the ex and I. He has never paid to buy the kids clothes and I pack them ones from here. Then they dont always get returned. So this weekend they went in one outfit. He had to buy even socks and underwear. He should of done it years ago but I never pushed, cuz it would of just been an exercise in pissing me off.

But times are tight and I cant afford to carry his end. He seems to think the 13 year old girl is too picky. HAHA. ya think???

He was clueless and I took a bit of joy in knowing they ran him ragged.

I also made a 5 lb. loaf of hot chocolate soap. Even made lil marshmellow soaps to top it. I hope it comes out as cute as I think it will.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hillfarm said:
I also made a 5 lb. loaf of hot chocolate soap. Even made lil marshmellow soaps to top it. I hope it comes out as cute as I think it will.
Oooooo! Picture's and a recipe? Please?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Went to the library today while debating whether or not to let my son buy at the scholastic book fair. We don't keep books at home, I don't buy books. I don't have anywhere to put books. We go to the library often. But I remember my parents wouldn't let us get books from scholastic and I felt very left-out. No decision yet, I'm not looking at the flyer until I decide. I probably save $15 already! :lol:

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Currently making bed pillowcases out of some extra flat sheets I have. We use 5 pillows on the bed...and always coming up short. I also buy my sheets at the thrift stores. Shocking what people will throw away.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am going to have to try making my own peanut butter next time too. I only buy the organic stuff, when it is on sale. I bet you can freeze whole peanuts and then make the butter a little at a time. Peanut prices will be going up, so it might be a good idea to stock up.

SO is gong to make ice cream today. It doesn't really save money, unless you compare it to organic grassfed ice cream. I buy organic whipping cream and half and half and mix it with our goat's milk. He will add our own blackberries too. With mom staying with us, it is well worth making some yummy ice cream. We still have a huge bag of ice in one of our freezers and need to make room for food. At least that is our excuse ;)

Mom wants to make some rolls, so I got all the ingredients out for her to do that.

I tied our buckling up near some weeds that have really grown, since we had so much rain. So I won't have to feed him much today.

Yesterday I made fried rice, using assorted left overs and a few freshly picked vegies. I also made a salad using a few lettuce leaves and assorted fresh vegies from the garden, served with a ginger vinagrette, it added a nice finishing touch to the meal. I also made a blackberry pie for desert and some whipped cream. We were all well stuffed! :lol:

I am thinking of making some fresh Mexican style cheese, to use for a Mexican dinner. But with SO and mom wanting to do stuff in the kitchen, I am going to stay out of it for a while and do outside work, maybe pick some of my dried blue lake beans.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Casually asked someone what they were going to do with the pears on their tree. Was told nothing, you can have them. DH picked 10 five gallon buckets of pears today. Traded two bucketfuls to his uncle for a huge bag of garlic, three eggplants, two heads of cabbage and six rhubarb crowns. I will put some of the pears in the freezer for pear crisp, etc. and the rest will get canned on Saturday as pear sauce.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
Currently making bed pillowcases out of some extra flat sheets I have. We use 5 pillows on the bed...and always coming up short. I also buy my sheets at the thrift stores. Shocking what people will throw away.
I know that you probably already know but make sure you roll those cut edges under a couple times or use a surger.. sheets tend to unravel something fierce!;)