What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am drying tomatoes and cilantro. Also made laundry detergent.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I know the subject line of this thread says what did you to save $ today, but I'll report here about adventures yesterday (Saturday). Went to three yard sales in the nearby village... two of them had nothing we needed. Third one was where I got one hardcover, color-illustrated historical book (for 25c), my wife got a small set of shelves (kind you hang on the wall)... and I got (from the "take anything here for free" pile) four heavy-duty metal-grinding wheels for an electric angle grinder!

For an investment of $4.25, we got at least $40 worth of stuff!!

I always like it when I'm at a swap meet or garage sale and can get useful things, in good shape, for maybe 20%, 10%, even 5% of what their new value would be. ;)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Felt like making dumplings and I combined blackberry and grape juice with apple sauce to do so. As usual, I had left-over sauce, so I added 1/4 box of pectin and cooked a little to make it into a jelly and just put it in a clean mason with a used lid.....been using as my jelly ever since.
Hey......the pot was already dirty anyway...mess already made, so now I have jelly.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I found 3 feeders and a big waterer for the chickens on Craig's List...for FREE! Well, prolly cost $1.00 worth of gas to go get 'em ;) Also pulled weeds and cut clover, oats and comfrey to feed the chickens...we're about to save about 20% or so on the feed bill for them by feeding them goodies we've grown ourselves. Had to laugh, my younger son saw me coming with the big bowl I use to collect the stuff and said "mmmm...chicken salad" LOL

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Went to work yesterday but that didn't count on saving money however an employee of mine told me she and a friend drove around their neighborhood looking for foreclosed houses. Any home that had notices posted on the door and a loaded fruit tree in the yard they picked. She came home with a huge haul of peaches, pears and plums all for free. Now some properties clearly say no trespassing but the ones without that had falling fruit going to waste she harvested. This area has so many homes owned by the banks and there is actually a city ordinance stating there can't be debris from bushes and trees collecting on the property except in an contained compost area. She is canning up her found fruit so money saved.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have so much food in the freezer and pantry at the moment that I was able to plan our entire month of meal planning such that we'll only have to go to the store for milk, and we don't use that much, so this month's grocery budget will be very light. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Moolie, that's just awesome!

It's fall freezer clean out time (even though it's not officially fall yet). We'll be doing lots of soups with meat and veggies from the freezer. Made cheese yesterday and dogs had scrambled eggs for dinner. Okay - guess those were all things I did 'yesterday' to save money... oh well.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been making soups etc. as well as I've been trying to find room in there for new stuff--I pulled out a bunch of chicken stock last week and canned up lots of soup. Also pulled out 3 bags of beef soup bones and made up a couple of gallons of beef stock that I'm cooking into soups today for more canning.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I actually spent quite a lot of money to save quite a lot, LOL. Stopped at the market to get some lids. They didn't have any but did have bottom round roast, buy one get one, and sirloin at buy1 get 2, and broiler chickens for .77/lb. Also got some freebie carrots (about 15 lb) and apples (also 10 or 15 lbs) as well as a couple pounds of mushrooms. I'll be busy for all my days off for the next week or two, but....SCORE! :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Made my own rennovations to my rabbit hutch and built new nest boxes, and this I did myself from scrap/leftover lumber, and it benefits meat production :D

Also layed off more Garden space the other day