What did you do to save $ today?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Weighed out, so I know how much they're getting per day. There is no reason for 4 horses to go thru a 700 lb RB in less than 4 days!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
Want the info on the banana hershey syrup. Started more lettuce, mustard and radishes to in future save my salad fixings money. Hung out my clothes and cleaned the freezer and made corn beef and cabbage noodle soup.
1 C. Sugar
1 C. Water
.5C. Cocoa Powder
1tsp Vanilla extract
1 pinch Salt

Add your water and sugar, bring to a simmer. Once sugar is dissolved, add cocoa powder and salt. Boil for 2 min, then bring to a simmer and stir until it is the desired consistency. Use a spoon to dip some out and let it cool to test consistency. When it's "right", remove from heat and let cool slightly, then add your vanilla extract. I always double the recipe, then pour it into a pint sized jar to about 1/4" of the top, then put the lid on. It will seal the jar as it cools to room temp. I'm not sure exactly how long it lasts, and I'm sure that the runnier you want it, the shorter the shelf life will be. I've also made it and wasn't careful enough about NOT scraping the sides, and it ended up crystallizing a little bit, but the crystals tasted freaking awesome anyways, lol. You can also substitute some or all of the vanilla extract with other extracts... Lemon, mint, banana (my favorite) almond, etc, etc.

It's actually really easy to make. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds yummy! I just might have to try it.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
At tonight's football game, talked to our farmer from the up the road that has the field of sweet corn out back. They picked for the last time tonight. The frost has killed the green, but the corn is still good. They are shucking the corn to sell it because of the wizened husk, but they are losing money on that approach. He said we could glean all we wanted tomorrow. Monday they are going to chop the field for feed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Awesome Jamie! Wish I could get in on that too!!

I saved money by driving my car instead of the truck today! FINALLY got it back :woot

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
it's over 10 acres, only about 1/2 harvested. I will be out at daybreak.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
it's over 10 acres, only about 1/2 harvested. I will be out at daybreak.
WOW! I would SO love that! You'e so lucky :p

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We canned 15 doz last year, I'll probably pick 10 doz or so

Latest posts