What Did You Ferment Today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Purple will be pretty on your plate. ๐Ÿ˜
They say red cabbage (purple to me) has more nutrients than green cabbage ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ.
Screenshot_20230926-102815.png

Hopefully AS will ship green cabbage next month and I can do another 35 lb batch. If not we'll be looking locally for green cabbage. I know it seems like a lot of kraut, Since we fermented and canned 70 lbs last year. But we do eat our fair share and also share with family and neighbors.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Last edited:

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had ACV on the list, we tried it once a number of years ago (failure). I should have some apples starting next spring, since a number of our young apple trees developed spurs this year.

If you have a repeatable recipe/process for ACV and are willing, it would be most helpful and truly appreciated, if you could share it with us.

I use Offgrid With Doug and Stacy's recipe. I've never done it before this year so I'm hoping it will turn out. I put apples and scraps into a half gallon jar until it was half full. Then fill with filtered water(measure the water as you fill the jar) add one tablespoon cane sugar for each cup of water used. Stir it well and cover with an old cloth and rubberband. Stir it once a day, trying to keep it from sunlight. After two to four weeks(depends on your taste) strain out the apples by pouring the whole thing over a strainer on top of another jar. Cover that jar with the cloth and rubberband and leave for a few months(again depends on your taste) no need to stir once the apples are out. You get rid of the apples once you strain them, give to your chickens or whatever. It should turn into vinegar after a few months

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use Offgrid With Doug and Stacy's recipe. I've never done it before this year so I'm hoping it will turn out. I put apples and scraps into a half gallon jar until it was half full. Then fill with filtered water(measure the water as you fill the jar) add one tablespoon cane sugar for each cup of water used. Stir it well and cover with an old cloth and rubberband. Stir it once a day, trying to keep it from sunlight. After two to four weeks(depends on your taste) strain out the apples by pouring the whole thing over a strainer on top of another jar. Cover that jar with the cloth and rubberband and leave for a few months(again depends on your taste) no need to stir once the apples are out. You get rid of the apples once you strain them, give to your chickens or whatever. It should turn into vinegar after a few months
Thanks - that pretty much covers it ๐Ÿ‘

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Purple cabbage kraut attempt has got a good ferment rolling.
Screenshot_20230927-134127.png

Anything that finds it's way past the layer of whole leaves and the upside down dinner plate into the brine above the dinner plate needs to be skimmed off and disregarded. It's important to only use a food grade plastic strainer or all stainless steel strainer to avoid contamination.

After skimming and skimmed trash yuck ๐Ÿ˜
Screenshot_20230927-134214.png

I'll check it every couple days and skim as needed. Some batches need multiple skims others just a few. Each batch behaves a little different ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ. I suspect this batch may be a multiple skimmer.

I massaged in 3 tablespoons of canning salt per 5 lbs shredded cabbage weight and mashed it in with a wooden ball bat. it released sufficient water to make it's own brine. so I didn't have to mix up spring water and canning salt brine ๐Ÿ‘

It's important to keep the fermenting cabbage submerged under the salt water brine at all times. Anything that finds air will turn brown and have to be thrown in the trash. So... patience is key here (no sneaking a taste yet) maybe after 4 weeks I'll do a taste test on this batch, because it's got a good ferment rolling.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Done
Screenshot_20231019-163713.png

And canned.
Screenshot_20231027-224149.png

Turned out very good, a little more earthy flavored ๐Ÿ˜‹ We have 20 quarts plus 3 pints left. But she isn't done giving away yet.

We also started fermenting 35lbs shredded weight, AS organic green cabbage for sauerkraut a few days ago.

Jesus is Lord and Christ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Trying to make apple cider vinegar again. This time with Stacey's recipe there. it's peels and cores from crockpot apple butter.

ACV attempt, coffee filter & rubber band for a breathable lid. Hopefully we did it correct, organic Apples & cane sugar, used bottled spring water.
Screenshot_20231029-002004.png

Apple butter starting in the crock pot. I'll probably be dreaming of apple pie all night. The whole house smells so good already ๐Ÿ˜‹
Screenshot_20231029-002405.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
9 little 1/2 pints of apple butter, but I think she gave a few away already. Sticky sweet, even though she said she used less than the recipe called for. Could just be we are not used to sweet foods now due to change in our diet. For me It'll be good in moderation on toast or biscuits occasionally.
Screenshot_20231030-151217.png

Also ACV is starting to bubble. Seems like it working on making hard apple cider during this primary ferment. Then to become apple cider vinegar during the secondary ferment.

It's good to see some bubbles rising, now I know it's fermenting ๐Ÿ‘ I wouldn't expect this occur with our city tap water. We use bottled spring water from Walmart, it works for our fermentation's.

Once this batch is successfully finished, I believe we'll have an ACV SCOBY (commonly called the Mother), which should make future batches easier. Still several months away from being finished, though
Screenshot_20231030-152149.png

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We strained the ACV. It left us with about 1/2 gallon of liquid. We put the strained liquid back into the same non rinsed gallon jar. I reckon its just a waiting game now, for it to turn into apple cider vinegar.
20231111_210444.jpg

I split up the the fermented apples between, chickens, ducks and turkeys. Hope they enjoy them.
20231111_203920.jpg

As long as I was making a mess, I went ahead and skimmed the green cabbage kraft. I needed the first skim. It's fermenting well at room temperature.
20231111_205851.jpg

Also wanted to mention, jelly canning jar fits good in the center of a gamma lid. it holds the upside down dinner plate under the brine. We have various heights of this style of jelly jars which is good. I think they are ball brand.
20231111_205942.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ โœ๏ธ