What do you plan to grow next year?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My fruit was a flop last year as well due to the poor weather.

I am going to try potatoes in a barrel or other container this year. Just to see if I get better results. MORE peas. More swiss chard. MORE spinach. Lima beans and brussel sprouts will be a priority as this was a lean year. Going to try my new weird pumpkin seeds as well.

I am also going to grow:

garlic
onions
tomatoes
Japanese climbing cucumbers
Rattlesnake beans
beets
carrots
herbs
lettuce
radishes
sweet potatoes
broccoli
cabbage
and maybe collards

I hope next year the weather is more cooperative. :)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i never manage what I want to do but Im hoping for lots more sweet corn, 3 different varities of watermelon, cucumbers, tomatoes, cantelope, 6 varities of pumpkins and gourds and what ever else catches my eye. Hoping to plant enough corn, watermelon and pumpkins to sell roadside. Im also hoping the apple tree I planted this year makes it, it doesnt look so good. Would also like to get another one and cherry trees. I already have 2 very old apples.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhh, here we all are..barely getting into winter, and already planning spring! I cant waite! :D Here is our list....

Taters....lots and lots of them.
Tomatoes, ( maybe 30 plants)
Peas
Beets
Beans
Onions
Cabbage
Cauliflour ( I WILL get it to grow, one day)
Corn ( sweet and ornamental...different sides of the property of course)
Garlic ( already in the ground )

We lost an apple tree this year...and both of our peach trees. :(
I am hopeing to replant those...and maybe a few extras. Our little tiny cherry trees actually made it through the wetness!:D Hopeing the grapes come back strong this year. Oh, and we want to put in a large thornless blackberry patch, and hopefully a strawberry patch next spring. I am planning to clean the sheep barn out come spring, and set it right in the gardens before planting. I would like to put out cantelope...and watermelon...and pumpkins...but, not sure if we will or not. Maybe like Betta....I will toss some in the woods...see what happens. ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The usual garden stuff. I am going to add more herbs, especially ones that can be used to worm my critters. Hope I have that pretty much figured out by the time I need to order my seeds! I think wormwood will be the one I have to order.

I hope to get some grapes and raspberries in, too. Got the strawberries in this past summer. The tree that was shading my pear was cut down, too, so maybe we will get some fruit, finally.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We must all be gardening junkies, I swear, just barely winter and we all have next springs planting on our minds :/ (glad Iam not alone) We will be going bigger and hopefully better.
Lots of : corn, spuds, toms, peppers of all kinds,salad mix greens,
green beans,also some turnips, beets spinach, and I think we will try kale and of course DH will once again try his watermelons.:fl they just don't do well here.Oh Iam sure there will other stuff in the seed catolog that I will just have to have.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Horseradish- my original expired after all these years :(
Broomcorn-very excited about this!
Chestnuts and hazelnuts-have some that need pollinators
All the usual root crops and vegetables.
After New Years my garden list expands as fast as a waistline! :p

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Ohhh, here we all are..barely getting into winter, and already planning spring! I cant waite! :D Here is our list....

Taters....lots and lots of them.
Tomatoes, ( maybe 30 plants)
Peas
Beets
Beans
Onions
Cabbage
Cauliflour ( I WILL get it to grow, one day)
Corn ( sweet and ornamental...different sides of the property of course)
Garlic ( already in the ground )

We lost an apple tree this year...and both of our peach trees. :(
I am hopeing to replant those...and maybe a few extras. Our little tiny cherry trees actually made it through the wetness!:D Hopeing the grapes come back strong this year. Oh, and we want to put in a large thornless blackberry patch, and hopefully a strawberry patch next spring. I am planning to clean the sheep barn out come spring, and set it right in the gardens before planting. I would like to put out cantelope...and watermelon...and pumpkins...but, not sure if we will or not. Maybe like Betta....I will toss some in the woods...see what happens. ;)
i always plant some pumpkins that way, take what i have out for decoration now and throw them in the flower garden. the rotting pumpkin is excellent fertilizer and the pumpkin that comes up next summer is always at least twice as large as the one put there.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have been researching just this topic for a month now. I have picked like 12 things to grow, and I am completely sure I am setting myself up for failure. I should probably pick maybe 4 or 5 an try to do them right. But I don't want a boring dinner plate ! I know I want potatoes, that's just a given. And I want corn, peas, green beans, watermelon, onions, squash, raspberries, thornless boysenberries, and strawberries. Those are the basics. I would like to try cranberry beans or some other similar bean.

I am scared of winter failure...because I may give up on trying in the spring. I have high hopes for my broccoli and my brussels sprouts, which seem to be doing okay. My turnips are almost a joke, but the greens look awesome. I will wait another month to check again. I am pretty sure the variety I planted was not "golf pencil".

I don't know what I will end up planting, and since this will be my first garden of this scale, i really want to be successful.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol:

What a great name for a variety! I think I grew golf pencil carrots year before last.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I found a beautiful blue gourd variety from Australia that I want to try. They are the exact shade of faded blue jeans..... :love Look like a blue pumpkin and I think they will sell well.

Latest posts