What is the best advice you have ever been given?

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
"When you feel stuck in a corner, turn around and look at the room."

I should have taken the advice and called off the wedding!
DITTO THAT!!!!

Wannabefree said:
An EX once told me "Never settle for second best" so I didn't, and he was shocked when I dumped him. :hu
And so why, when my (well, he's not legally - YET) ex, said I was 2nd best, was he so shocked when I dumped him?

So my best piece of advice is: Never let somebody else be your all, when YOU are the option....

eroommij

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Never take more then you give.

Out of all the advice this is the one I hold on to.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i like the thing about the dog - aint that right, SKR8PN... we almost bought a property from a guy that Titan hated... it turned out to have significant problems that he knew about but tried to cover up. we ran and were glad we did.

best advice:

* sometimes you just have to take your loss and move on

* cash is king

* you gotta be smarter than the bag (spoken by a guy trying to shove a king sized burrito into small to-go sack)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Interesting that Heinlein keeps popping up in this thread, because when I read it, what came to mind was his book (my favorite of all time) Time Enough for Love.
Not so much any particular quote in the book, but the premise, that the most important thing you can learn in your life is to make time enough for love.

Other prophetic words of wisdom in my life .....Be careful what you wish for!

And my classic favorite....from Bambi.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Good thread! I agree with the dog- they are much better readers of human character than most people are. I always trust my dogs if I can't get a vibe from someone.

My father's sayings: Wish in one hand and $hit in the other and see which one gets filled first. And one I live by- Life is basically unfair.

My father was always a self-sufficient type and now he and my mom are living a good retirement life because of his planning.

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Another Heinlen reader here. :)

But what I remember most often is my mother telling me "what goes around, comes around."

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The one I remember the most from my mother is.... keep your mouth shut, and your eyes and ears open, you will learn more that way.
I agree with the Dogs....if my dogs dont trust ya, neither should I.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another ditto on dog sense. The first time my dog met my future dh, she jumped on his lap and let him pet her. She would try to bite everyone else that was not in my family.

Latest posts