What Kind of Boot/Shoes Do You Use in the Garden and Animal Pens?

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been shopping for a waterproof boot or shoe to wear in my poultry runs and in the garden and walking the woods for berries and so forth. I really need good arch and ankle support on my uneven ground. I hate wearing sandals when I work outside even though they are cooler in summer. Crocs don't work for me either.

I've been wearing old casual or tennis shoes until they fall apart. Finally got good winter boots in February that were pricey, but they have good tread and are warm and dry. Had some rain boots, but they were made for fashion instead of function and didn't last a year before they cracked.

I've tried on Mucks and Sloggers and can't find the right fit. I've been shopping online, but the Bogs, LawnGrips, and other brands are pricey. I hate to order and return and reorder and return. :/

What do you use on your feet?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
real work--muck boots (hate them tho....)

just to go and feed and water, flip flops or whatever slide on shoes I can find....and many times I go barefoot. (which worries me cause of 'icky' things out there, but hey, I survive.

so footwear depends on the work being done.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Have you considered getting a second pair of the winter boots and cutting them down, or at least (when the current pair "is ready for retirement" cutting THAT down)?

Some types of boots are better suited to this than others, and no matter how ya slice it it's gonna look a little funny, but I've made some really comfy ankle-height or clog-type things by cutting down beloved but older boots :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
i am afraid I am ofno help. I wear a dedicated pair of crocs in the summer/dry months and insulated rubber boots in the winter/wet months. For hiking and stuff, hubby has a wonderful pair of waterproof boots, I will find out the name of them, but they are lace up. They are comfy and supportive for all types of terrain. And they cost ~$80. He's going on his 6th year witht hem though.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Another flip-flop/barefooter here :D Good incentive to keep fresh straw in the duck pen!!!

I thought I saw some cute rubber boots last time I was at walmart.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I wore flip flops all the time (well, not winter, but all other times) until I found my Sloggys Ultra Lites (like Crocs, but better :p). I swore up and down I would never wear an ugly shoe like Crocs, but once I tried these I couldn't go back! They're super comfy and REALLY durable. I wish they made them with no holes for winter time. Theyr'e fairly cheap too, but I found them even cheaper at my True Value store for only ($12.99), unfortunately after I'd already spent $20 on them through the Slogger website.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I collect shoes, so I have many. My fav in winter are my muck boots and in summer, I have a waterproof hiking tennis shoe made by The North Face that I really love.

I can tell you, flip flops and red toenail polish is NOT a good idea for walking around chickens.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm more able to say what NOT to buy.

I got those black rubber boots with red toes at Wal-Mart last year for about $22. DO NOT buy these!!!!! Zero support (which would be nice) but even worse they cracked after a few wearings. I feel very cheated.

I saw some slip-ons at TSC. They were on clearance for like $2, and it was all I could afford. They are at least 3 sizes too big for me too. But they have not been bad. They cover the front like boots, but are low and open in the back. I've worn them every day, every time I go outside for over a year, and they are just now getting tiny cracks so not completely waterproof, but still good. Oh, and the soles came out a while back. But I'm hard on my work shoes, and I'm actually very pleased with them. If I could afford a new pair that fit me, I'd probabl buy them. Not bad as far as support, and to me the lasted well (at least compared to Wal-Mart junk!).

They don't protect from snakes though, and I have places I go that I'd like better shoes for that. And I'm not sure if it's cuz they are too big, but I'm always getting stuff under my feet inside the shoe in back. Could be the design. I'd rather have something that protected and covered better, and stayed on better. They are VERY hard to run in, being too big AND being open on the heel.

Haha, looking at what I said ... It's almost a big "duh" ... Of COURSE don't buy shoes like that! But I think TSC is way better quality than W-M, and the regular price is not THAT much more.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our Tractor Supply has the Muck and Slogger brands that I tried. They also have the big rubber barn muck boots that are mainly in men's sizes.

Our Agland carries the Muck brand, but they are cheaper online than through Agland.

After several hours outside working my feet are so tired. I know a better shoe would be better for my overall health. I complained about a weak ankle to my chiropractor and of course he asked what type of shoes I spend most of my time in. By the looks of my shoes I throw my weight to the outside on my right. :/

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
the name of hubby's boots are Irish Setter. They are very light, waterproof, and offer alot of support when walking on rough terrain. he got them in Canada though so I don't know ifyou can find some in your neck of the woods, but I'm sure y.ou will find something close, if you are interested in them