What nurseries do you order your garden seeds from?

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the past, I have picked up seeds from local home/garden stores or where ever.

But this year we want to raise some things that you can't typically find there. Also we want to save some $$$ as some of the items at the place we usually buy from are somewhat expensive.

For example we want to raise garlic, where do you usually get those from?

Also, we want to get some more concord grapes.....the place we buy from are about $4.50 each. I should be able to get them cheaper on line, shouldn't I?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This year I bought all heirloom seeds from Baker Creek Heriloom Seeds. They will have garlic etc there. Pretty neat catalog full of all kinds of heirloom seeds. Fast shipping too.

I was given a free native grape vine by a friend. You might want to ask around. I was also offered free raspberry canes too by that same friend. She needed to thin hers out.

Good luck! :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Baker Creek here also. This is our third year ordering from them. Some of the seeds that sprouted this year, are some that we had left over from our first order. We had near 100% germination with them. Nice people and a great variety.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm another with Baker Creek. I think they have a great selection of varieties and the prices were better than most. This was the first year I've ordered from them, but I will again if I can't get enough of my own seed.
I'd suggest to get moving on any order since alot of places are running out of stuff fast. I ordered in Jan and got most of what I ordered, but I've checked their site since then and found alot are now out of stock.

FYI-Around here grape vine starts are about twice that price.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree, Baker Creek is great, but unfortunately they run out of the most popular varieties really early. They were out of three types of seeds I wanted, way back in early march. I managed to find two of them later from people selling their seeds in other outlets.

They are also good b/c you get a free pack of seeds, (I got Pink Ponderosa tomatoes) with each order, and the shipping is only $3, flat fee.
Very reasonable!

Seed Savers Exchange is also good, although their seeds are a tad pricey, and shipping is expensive as well.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another vote for Baker Creek. This was my first year ordering with them and I was super pleased with the transaction & sprout rate.

I ordered blueberry plants from a super great seller on ebay, they also sell thornless blackberries & muscadines. I am trading 3 of the 6 blueberries for black walnut & mulberry trees.

Grape vines here are $20 at the farmer's market & $10 at wally world.
Check to see if you have a Market Bulletin for your state. Works like a classified type of ad.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gurney's and those types are often extremely overpriced. I would look for more local sellers.

There's a neat website called Localharvest.com where you might find good stuff.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought my seeds from a big box store. name brands.... So far, I have about 100% failure rate with them. Eggplant, cosmos, yellow tomatoes, kale, and some other flower have failed to sprout and its been almost 3.5 weeks. Gonna have to start completely over. I'm so so disappointed.

The only things that have sprouted are some 5 yr old sunflower seeds (5 of 'em) and some tidy something flowers that I bought off of ebay. Everything else is a big fat failure.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I keep hearing good things about Fedco.
However, we use Denali Seed.
For those of you in colder climates, I would recommend them for sure.