What's a Fair Price for Chicken Sitting?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to ask my neighbor & her four kids if one of them would be willing to feed and care for my 5 chickens while I go away for occasional overnight trips. I'm wondering what price to offer for this job. It would involve riding their bike or walking about a city block to my house to let the chickens out of their coop first thing in the AM, change the water, feed. Let them out of their run to free range for a couple hours before dark, gather and keep the eggs, more feed and water if needed, then lock them up tight just before dark. I would not expect them to hang around while the girls are free ranging. The kids range from about 10 to 16. Minimum wage in Missouri is $7.25/hr. There is no mean roo to contend with, so a little kid could do it without problem. BTW, this is the neighbor whose previous dog got two of my chickens, but did not harm them badly. (soft mouth?) So...she owes me ???? :p Suggestions?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I'm getting ready to ask my neighbor & her four kids if one of them would be willing to feed and care for my 5 chickens while I go away for occasional overnight trips. I'm wondering what price to offer for this job. It would involve riding their bike or walking about a city block to my house to let the chickens out of their coop first thing in the AM, change the water, feed. Let them out of their run to free range for a couple hours before dark, gather and keep the eggs, more feed and water if needed, then lock them up tight just before dark. I would not expect them to hang around while the girls are free ranging. The kids range from about 10 to 16. Minimum wage in Missouri is $7.25/hr. There is no mean roo to contend with, so a little kid could do it without problem. BTW, this is the neighbor whose previous dog got two of my chickens, but did not harm them badly. (soft mouth?) So...she owes me ???? :p Suggestions?
I allow all the eggs laid during time away as payment.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I would not lead with the whole "she owes me because her dog attacked my chickens" thing. I would go with the allowing them to keep the eggs, however if you are only gone for one night at a time, and only have five chickens (i'm assuming they are all hens for the sake of argument and currently all laying) then at they would only be getting somewhere between 2 and five eggs each time, depending on the breed of chicken, the weather, the feed, etc. I would start by offering any eggs collected plus $15.00 a sitting (and maybe ask that whomever does it does not bring over the dog, especially as it is known to handle chickens). If you had more chickens, so they would be getting more eggs, and they were as into eggs as alot of us here are, then I would agree that offering just the eggs might be payment enough. It also depends on how close you are with these neighbors as well :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Hmm...that's three trips per day. Would you consider not letting the chickens free range while you're away? If you're just gone a day or two that's not a big deal for the chickens, and would lessen the load for the sitter. Sounds pretty easy though, so maybe $10 per day plus eggs?

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Hmm...that's three trips per day. Would you consider not letting the chickens free range while you're away? If you're just gone a day or two that's not a big deal for the chickens, and would lessen the load for the sitter. Sounds pretty easy though, so maybe $10 per day plus eggs?
see, if it was me I'd do it for the eggs plus $5-10 a day and make just two trips. The second trip I'd just carry reading material and a light source and read while the chickens were free ranging, and watch them wander around :) It'd be a good, guilt free time to just catch up on my reading :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was paid $60 for 7 days plus I got to keep the eggs. I had to go out there every other day to refill feed and water dishes. I let the girls out for a few hours to chase grasshoppers when I stopped by. Unfortunately the lady moved out of town :D

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went away a couple weeks ago. Right now I have multiple pens of multiple ages as I prepare for fall swap, butchering, and downsizing -- and the hens are not laying well due to change of weather and molting.

I offered to pay the neighbor boy $10 a day, but he wasn't really into it and was busy with homecoming weekend. His mom volunteered to come just for the eggs. :ep She didn't know what she was in for, but despite chores taking at least 1.5 hours, she has volunteered to come again next time I go. :th

When I'm away I try to have enough water and food available (even add feeders and waterers) so the first 24 hours or so that I'm gone no one needs to tend them (especially in cooler weather). I also plan to do chores myself the day I return or first thing the next morning. This takes work off my sitter. If my elderly mom is home and willing to open and close the gate, the birds from the main pen can free range -- otherwise the birds have to live with been cooped up while I'm gone.

I hate putting my chores on someone else. I try to provide them a detailed list so they know what to feed and where to find all the pens so nobody is overlooked. But I'm not too particular what the birds are given for food, even if someone just throws them some corn or scratch. I figure I can make up for it when I get back. ;)

It is just hard to take a very long and real vacation when you have a farm full of critters. :he Another reason I should downsize.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I try to provide them a detailed list so they know what to feed and where to find all the pens so nobody is overlooked.
She is NOT kidding! It's not a detailed list, it's a small memo :lol:

I also learned, do NOT let her mom feed the rabbits :lol: :p The last time I helped with animal chores due to Becca having a business trip, her mom fed dog food to the rabbits! :gig She just got confused....the bags WERE sitting side by side!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, colowyo0809, I was not going to mention the dog issue to her, I was just trying to make a funny.....
We are averaging 3-4 eggs per day, so I don't think that in itself would be much incentive to do it. Gotta be some greenbacks in there! I suppose they wouldn't really need to be let out to free-range; that would cut it down to two trips per day. I might offer a per trip price, with the 3rd trip optional. Like $3.00 for each time they come over, with two trips absolute minimum, the 3rd trip for them to free range depending on the weather and the kid's schedule. I am hoping to be able to be away for Christmas. The weather around then may not be conducive to free ranging, anyway. Thanks for your input, everyone.:)