wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the loss of your hen. Even though you know it's coming, it still hurts.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
By the way, the cranberry juice is fantastic!! Dh says maybe a touch too sweet. I gave a quart to my sister and she used it with her Soda Stream and says it is wonderful that way also. Cant wait for cranberry season to make alot more. Going to try with Cherries also for cherry juice.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just got some chicks. A co-workers wife ordered 20 chicks - she wanted a dozen and a neighbor asked her to order some for him. However, he is now ill and doesn't think he can take care of them so she needed to find a home for the rest. Since I have not gotten any new layers this year, I said I would take them.

They are a week old, and the she had them under a heat lamp. I checked on them last evening and they were standing in a corner in a cluster. They were not peeping, but I could tell they were starting to get chilly as they were all puffed up. I did get the brooder cleaned up an the heater cave set up for them, but obviously they were not using it.

One by one, I put them under the cave on the heat mat and held them there for a few seconds so they could feel the warmth. They all ran back out to the corner peeping, trying to get under the other chicks to get warm.

Then I realized, they were looking for the heat LAMP, to them heat had to be light. I turned off the lights directly overhead the brooder so that it was a little darker in there. That really got them distress peeping. Then, one by one I put them under the cave on the heat mat. 2 minutes later, no distress peeping, no pig pile in the corner trying to get warm, and no light to keep them awake and active.

This morning, they were out and about. They had finished off the food that I left last night and were darting back under the cave to warm up, then popping out to scratch through the shavings looking for more to eat. Happy little peeps.

I love brooding chicks with a MHP cave!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He needs a coach!! Maybe there is something wrong in there. 🤪 🤔. Maybe one of those crow neck things would help him out. :lol:. Poor baby.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH says he can hear the rooster crow, but it is not loud enough to hear on the video conference calls.

I lost another one of the Sapphire gems - i found her dead in the bottom nesting box. The Gems have never really p) used the roost, preferring to sleep in the nest boxes. At -12.0*F (ambient outside air temp), I think she may have froze to death in her sleep. She was fine the night before, actually nocking the rooster off on of her flock mates, lol.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would sooner think that she died of a heart attack. If you are loosing a higher percentage of the SG's, I'm guessing they have congenital weakness. Should have been warmer in the nest box than on the perch.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The nest box that she was in was down on the floor of the coop, huddled into a corner with her head turned back and tucked under her wing. Hot air rises, so the roost should be a bit warmer than the nest box, especially with all the other birds up there to snuggle up to. I have a piece of plywood up to protect the roost from any drafts.