wyodreamer - we're not in Wyo any more

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got some tomatoes canned up: not much, but some. The tomatoes didn't do so hot this year. My fault, I didn't get them staked up right away and weeds took over. The plants got diseased really bad and by fall most were just stems and tomatoes with a few green leaves at the top of the plant. Next year will be better - and putting a couple of plants in the greenhouse just for good measure.
I have been dealing with depression this summer. I guess, looking back, I have been depressed for a few years now. It finally really started to hit me hard this summer. Unemployment and high gas prices have me stuck at home in isolation. I am missing my neighborhood of friends back in Wyoming. The friends I have here are the wives of DH's friends - good people but not anyone I could just call up and gab with.
I am finishing up fall cleanup. Need to get my old flock of 7 hens into freezer camp and move the new flock to the coop. If the old flock wouldn't eat eggs, there are a couple I would like to keep, but I found the last Sagitta in coop breaking an egg open, so she is going. The white EE hen lays a very pretty blue egg, but she doesn't lay many eggs and is so skittish. She also refuses to leave the run and forage with the rest of the flock. Guess she will make good soup along with the rest. We are going ot have a little warm-up this weekend, so that will be on the To Do list.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Somebody on BYC, long time ago, posted pictures of a frame she built in the covered chicken run. It it was a rectangle, planted oats and rye grass in it and put a hardware cloth frame over it so chickens couldn’t destroy the greens. As the blades of green poked through the hardware cloth, the chickens could graze it off. She put a cinder block in the middle so it wouldn’t sag.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gus has finished all his meds and is back to normal. We will assume that is a good thing.
DH has decided that Gus has become my dog. DH was Gus's favorite person. Well, I am the one to walk him, feed him and give him attention at night, what do you expect?

When Gus was under for the x-rays, they clipped his toenails for me! No charge. Any ideas what I can drop off at the vets office to say thanks for an unexpected and much appreciated service?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Gus has finished all his meds and is back to normal. We will assume that is a good thing.
DH has decided that Gus has become my dog. DH was Gus's favorite person. Well, I am the one to walk him, feed him and give him attention at night, what do you expect?

When Gus was under for the x-rays, they clipped his toenails for me! No charge. Any ideas what I can drop off at the vets office to say thanks for an unexpected and much appreciated service?
Vets get inundated with sweet treats. A healthy snack is usually appreciated. Beer/wine is not inappropriate

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the job!! Whichever one you get.

Did you really enjoy what you were doing, making job B more desirable? If so, I'd consider asking how applications were looking....to help you decide. Agree you could say Dec and decline if B comes thru. It's hard to not take a job when you've been looking!!

We're excited for you and...waiting:pop

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, it has been confirmed - I am a Crazy Chicken Lady. The guy at Tractor Supply said he saw the glint in my eye when he offered me the Cornish-X chicks for 1/2 price. But only if I took all of them. So 15 chicks later ... I have my brooder full. I still need to pick up some new layers. When the freezer camp comes for these little buggers, I think my 5 old hens are going also. 3 aren't laying at all, 1 lays soft-shelled and 1 lays fairly regularly, but produces a higher percentage of meat-spot eggs than I like. Don't get me wrong, dogs like meat-spot eggs, but not so much for us.