Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
https://www.sadanduseless.com/how-to-teach-a-woman/

women-are-teachable1.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In some ways, women's rights are better. But in many ways, not at all. Women still lag behind men in wages, even when performing the same job. At the risk of opening a huge Pandora's box, I will state that IMO, family status, especially when it comes to child welfare is suffering when compared to previous generations. Babies are parked in day care while both parents work long hours to achieve "the status quo". Many women feel that they are not validated if they don't: hold a well paying job which includes long work hours and extra emotional overhead... While, at the same time: they are expected to keep the home, raise the children, provide nourishing meals, spend hours shuffling kids to and from their many social and enrichment activities... all in the name of "equal rights". I would gladly turn the clock back to a time when the tax burden and pursuit of "things" did not force women into the work force. Children benefit greatly from being able to be raised by their parents, and have their mothers present in their lives.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree...things have changed. Some good, some not.

The family "unit" has long been dismantled, IMO. Also, IMO, that is not a good thing!! The "who's my daddy" option is way, way out of control. And family mealtimes had/have more purpose than just eating. McD is not my idea of a good family mealtime, on a daily basis.

Our general economy has changed. Peoples perception of what should & should not happen has changed. The description of home has changed. We have good and bad with all of it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We made the decision many years ago to have me stay at home instead of working. Our son (who has moderate-to-severe Asperger's) did much better as a result. We didn't have as much money, but the lack of day care expenses and my ability to cook all our meals from scratch went a long way toward mitigating that. The other thing we did was stop buying every toy and geegaw that came along. If people would step back and really look at what they are paying money for, they would be appalled at the waste. I mean, come on! almost $100 a month for the priviledge of cable or dish tv? Why? If you both work, it isn't even on for 2/3 of your day (work + sleep)... and that's just one item.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
There are good things in there applying to everyone.

I think the context of this is women (Rosie the Riveter) entering factory jobs. It looks like a genuine attempt to protect the "fairer sex". Different times, maybe appears insulting by today's norms.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with your statement of a wage gap. It is illegal to pay different rates on gender. The gap statistics are generated by combining the totals for ALL jobs. Historically women have dominated lower paying careers. I have worked for a variety of companies that explicitly prohibited what you claim is a fact.

Because of career and positions, I make over twice what my wife makes. That, under, the dubious wage gap statistics, would claim she is under paid.

I agree not having a parent at home is detrimental. With my first wife and child, I did the math. With her working, her net take home pay was 25 cents per hour. So we had her quit.

A real disparity in is family court. Fathers are treated as second class citizens and merely a check. I had no say in how my support money was used. I have fought a running battle for 6 years.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dtr who is a manager definitely makes less than a male manager in the same company, same wage tier, doing the same job, with the same amount of experience. There have been numerous lawsuits aimed at Walmart for sex discrimination in the pay scale. And, I'll leave it at that.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed, People rarely step back and assess how they are spending their money, and take the time to determine if the purchase is a need, or a want. Then... there is the assessment re: is there a less costly way to achieve the goal? Before hubby and I were even married, we were saving for our future. After we married, we lived on one income, banking the second one. We only owned one car, with hubby often walking or biking to work. We paid cash for our land, built our house. After kids were born, I did not work for 5 years, then... only part time, working 3 - 11 shift so that the kids were only at a baby sitter for 8 hours/week. There were plenty of sacrifices: cloth diapers (most of them home made), only rarely did we eat out. Dates were a picnic in the park or a trip to the library, a drive to a local lake or the ocean. I would cut down an old pair of jeans to make overalls for the kids... sewed all their and most of my clothes. I would not change a thing. When I look at the frantic lives lived by many of my peers, and the younger generations, I can't begin to wrap my head around the amount of stress that such a life style must entail.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are good things in there applying to everyone.

I think the context of this is women (Rosie the Riveter) entering factory jobs. It looks like a genuine attempt to protect the "fairer sex". Different times, maybe appears insulting by today's norms.
That's right. Things have changed.