'09-10 hunting season review...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pfft. I didn't get anything this year. We went out all three days of bear rifle season, and I was out the second week of rifle deer and a few days in buck rifle. I also went small game hunting a few times. My second week of deer, I could have shot several, had several does in the crosshairs, but we were hunting with the camp and there was a no does rule. Next year, we're cutting out the camp.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Holy crow those are some BIG DOES!

I'm assuming those are mule deer? We have whitetail deer here, and all the ones I see are about the size of a good dog. I think mule deer must get bigger, I remember the deer in Nevada (where I grew up) being huge.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:

I'm assuming those are mule deer? We have whitetail deer here, and all the ones I see are about the size of a good dog. I think mule deer must get bigger, I remember the deer in Nevada (where I grew up) being huge.
Just a little jab here at a fellow biologist. ;) Look at the mule deer range, look at the whitetail range. Yes there is some overlap. Now look at where the posters say they are. Whitetail or mule deer? :hide

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Occamstazer said:

Just a little jab here at a fellow biologist. ;) Look at the mule deer range, look at the whitetail range. Yes there is some overlap. Now look at where the posters say they are. Whitetail or mule deer? :hide
Alright, you win ;)
I could have looked it up, but I was too busy boggling at the notion of a 180lb doe.

dacjohns

Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
dacjohns said:
Occamstazer said:

Alright, you win ;)
I could have looked it up, but I was too busy boggling at the notion of a 180lb doe.
It wasn't a win or lose. I enjoy our interaction in the field of biology. You keep me on my toes.

Yeah, that was a big doe. More the twice the size of the ones around here that are harvested.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This thread is making me wish I were a hunter...
I feel like it's hopeless around here to even learn. The huntable land is armpit deep in hunters. And a lot of them are scary.
I miss Nevada and wide open spaces :rolleyes:

dacjohns

Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
This thread is making me wish I were a hunter...
I feel like it's hopeless around here to even learn. The huntable land is armpit deep in hunters. And a lot of them are scary.
I miss Nevada and wide open spaces :rolleyes:
Bow hunting. The season is usually longer and there are fewer hunters.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many fewer in this area too. That is going to be my focus this year, practicing my bow skills. Guns, I'm not too shabby, but nowhere near accurate enough in bowshooting as I'd like to be.

I got squat. DH did trap a few coons, but that's nothing to remark on here.

On the other hand, I have 8 does and a very shy 10 point in the back yard every other day or two. We are allowed to handle nuisance animals here, so if they eat all my okra, peas & lettuce again this year... well ;) Dh has great aim with a bow.

hankus

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I only shoot things that raelly need it or I plan to eat. That said they are a nuisance here and I eat em so its a double.

Latest posts