1 Potato 2 Potato 3 Potato more..

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am looking for an economical way to grow sweet potatoes in containers. I do have some storage rubber bins that I can use as they are not in the best condition to resell or reuse for moving or storage. What is the procedure and approximate yield doing it this way? Any special soil additions etc?I do not have room in our current garden and our property consists of 99 percent lava........

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I took a Little Tykes toy box, painted it black, filled it with whatever dirt I had and put 3 slips in it. I also had another wood box and I put 3 feed bags in it full of dirt. Each bag got a slip. All the vines are getting pretty long. This is an experiment so I have no idea what the yield might be.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thank you W! Did anyone plant some in a container that you consider a success ,if so how did you go about it?W please keep me posted ok?

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was told you couldn't plant sweet potatoes in containers, but I would love to learn otherwise. :D

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have a raised bed with a "special" soil mix that we plant our sweet 'tators in. LOTS of sand is my secret ingredient. ;) I am trying regular 'tators in a large black plastic tree container as an experiment this year. I also tossed a bunch of our left over seed 'tators into my compost pile this spring, and they are doing great as volunteers!! :gig

I am going to try sweet 'tators in a container next year.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Yes, I did. I had a lot of potatoes from the rubbermaid, and a couple were actually larger than my thumb. I harvested them at 180 days. If the container had been the size of a wading pool, I think I would have had larger product.

This year, I planted them in a raised bed. Mom gave me two potatoes that had sprouted, and in the end they gave me 24 plants.

I couldn't find the post, so will re-post the picture:

1098_picture_299.jpg

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I moved one of mine from a 5 gallon bucket where they were getting a bit crowded & put them in a potato basket like Modern Pioneer uses for his regular potatoes. Video Here

Simply put, pound 4 short posts or sticks in a circle, wrap the outside with wire, landscape fabric, something to keep the dirt in. Put your potatoes on the bottom (I put a few shovels of compost in the bottom first) then cover over with lightweight mulch or compost as the vines grow up. I've been using a mix of sterilized spent potting soil, compost & hay.

I left another in the bucket & topped it with another bucket that my father had cut the bottom off. I will add a third here soon & fill in with the same mix I am using above. The rest of mine are in the ground.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a friend that plants potatoes in bushel baskets. They are Yukon gold and not sweet potatoes, but it cant be too much different. She prefers planting them in the bushel baskets because at the end of the growing cycle she just overturns the basket and all the potatoes fall out instead of having to dig for them and worry about poking a few.