10 Skin-Irritating Plants Commonly Found on the Homestead

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tansy Ragwort is the baddie here in the PNW. Its toxic to all life and spreads like wildfire. We are supposed to wear gloves and pull up the roots and bag it for the trash dump.

Oh. Ive never worn gloves to pull it. Comes out pretty easy for me and I've not had a reaction. I just knew it was invasive and I try to remove them.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep...but she was a kid and felt punished. 🤣. What did they know 85 yrs ago!? Even with her Alzheimer's lol she remembered that :old :lol:
Yep, just like the people that like cilantro can't believe that others find that it tastes like soap. Smokers will absolutely not believe a non-smoker when they tell the smoker that they can smell the smoke stink on them form 20' away.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very true, @R2elk. I had a coworker who was about 80 and smoked all her life. She thought if she put on perfume, we all could not smell her smoke stink. But on Mondays, she reeked to high heaven.
Talk about compounding an error. People wearing perfume dull their noses to the aroma. When they can't smell it any more, they pour o0n lots more. On occasion when I am at the mailboxes I have to hold my nose when certain people park upwind of me and the aroma is easily noticed 30' downwind when they open the door.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I could smell them 3 grocery store aisles away with a mask on, it's way to much.

Most perfumes make me sick amd give a headache. However as a kid I was taught that the proper way to wear one was that someone needed to be in your personal space to smell it. It was to entice a guy to move closer for a deeper smell.