10 Trees for $10

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Bare root twigs about 1 to 2 feet tall. May not even be for your area and may be considered invasives in some areas. We did it once. I don't think any of them are still alive.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We did this twice and did not get much to grow from the ten they chose.
However I did order 10 lilacs from them at the same time the first time around. They were little sticks, just like the others. The neighbors giggled.
10 years later they were a gorgeous HEDGE of lilacs. I wish I had a picture to post.
But if you keep the sticks alive they are little tree starts.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
However I did order 10 lilacs from them at the same time the first time around. They were little sticks, just like the others. The neighbors giggled.
10 years later they were a gorgeous HEDGE of lilacs. I wish I had a picture to post.
This is encouraging, we ordered 50 lilacs trees last year and planted them (all our neighbours snickered at our 'twigs' too)... I can't wait until they are a beautiful hedge of lilacs all the way down one side of our property. We have one lilac here that was planted the year the house was built (1887), and it's gorgeous!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had luck getting trees both times I tried it. I still have a silver maple and pin oak in my yard from one year. Nice sized shade trees. Then I got some flowering trees another time. 2 grew well in my garden, but I didn't move them soon enough. One is doing okay transplanted, but I killed the other one getting it out of the garden. :/

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the best place to order trees is from the University of Idaho, Moscow branch. The best ones are $2 but they look really good!
We just orderd about 80. We plan on putting them in pots for about 2 or 3 years then transplanting. Makes watering a lot easier
And I thank who ever told me about it on my journal.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you have a link for them? I would like to see about ordering some. is it available for everyone?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Add me to the list. They sent sticks, and even with my careful care, they remained sticks.

Good idea, poor marketing.

Yesterday I bought a clearance walnut bareroot tree from Lowes. Marked down to 9.99. Now, this is a tree.....

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aw, I got this in the mail the other day and I was kinda excited. I figure I don't mind giving them $10, and maybe when my twigs arrive some of them will live :lol:

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never mind I found the origional post! Dang it I'm too far away!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
savingdogs said:
This is encouraging, we ordered 50 lilacs trees last year and planted them (all our neighbours snickered at our 'twigs' too)... I can't wait until they are a beautiful hedge of lilacs all the way down one side of our property. We have one lilac here that was planted the year the house was built (1887), and it's gorgeous!
You planted 50? Wow! I would love to see that. Especially in 10 years. If I can ever ressurect the photos from my old computer I'll try to post them.
Yes, they were one dollar each and I ordered them at the same time as the 10 for 10 deal, so I only sent them 20 bucks. I don't think I had any of the other ones survive, but lilacs actually start easily from suckers, which is what they send you, rooted suckers.
Ours did not flower for a couple of years. Then a gardener told us to put a cup of lime at the base of each plant, twice a year (spring and fall) and it bloomed right after we did what he said. Our climate is rainy so we have acid soil. But they prefer the correct PH.
They are kind of plain all winter but made a nice summer hedge.