rd123

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Very handy indeed. To back it up - a small can of calcium carbide would make your firestarting kit complete. Calcium Carbide can start a fire in the rain. The wetter it gets the more it gasses. So all you need is a little water, and most of us carry a little bag of water concealed if you get my drift.:lol:

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rd123 said:
Very handy indeed. To back it up - a small can of calcium carbide would make your firestarting kit complete. Calcium Carbide can start a fire in the rain. The wetter it gets the more it gasses. So all you need is a little water, and most of us carry a little bag of water concealed if you get my drift.:lol:
Hey, you just reminded me that I have two carbide lamps somewhere. I'll have to go dig them out of their hiding place and put them in our emergency stash closet. But I don't know where to get the carbide these days.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Neat! I have seen them on Bear G's show (hate that guy) and Les', Survivorman. Our oldest does backpacking all over the world, I wonder if he has one now... Where did you get yours?

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Neat! I have seen them on Bear G's show (hate that guy) and Les', Survivorman. Our oldest does backpacking all over the world, I wonder if he has one now... Where did you get yours?
:) Ditto, my DH would love to have one of these in his stash. A website address would be great....

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Boogity said:
rd123 said:
Hey, you just reminded me that I have two carbide lamps somewhere. I'll have to go dig them out of their hiding place and put them in our emergency stash closet. But I don't know where to get the carbide these days.
About the cheapest prices that I have seen for calcium carbide is on eBay.