moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been using the kitchen greywater only on ground plantings. Not container plants. I figure the salts etc, have a better chance of diluting if they are only on the ground. A container will just store it all up, after the water is used by the plants. I have been using the chicken water bowl water on the container plants though. Not dumping it on the ground. Or, the melted ice jugs from the chicken ice. They needed lots of gallon jugs this past summer, it was so hot. Freeze empty milk jugs and place them in the coop. I know, bucket brigade sux...but, alot of my flowers and plants would be dead by now if I didn't use them. I have to relocate some as it is...having found out the spots I planted them in, are way too hot.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use grey water from our washer's rinse cycle, and from our bathtub. We water the garden with it. We use all homemade soaps in the tub. We use homemade laundry soap, too, but it has three kinds of salts in it, so we just use the rinsewater. If we were to use the washwater, we'd need a filter, which we don't have.

We route the water (via tapping the pipes) into two 55 gallon drums in our walk out basement. We have a submersible electric pump and some garden hose. When the barrel is full, we place the sprinkler head and plug in the pump. Easy. If our basement wasn't a walk out, we'd have to figure something out with a window.

We've had no problems. Sometimes we use washwater to dampen the compost, and this seems to work really well. In the past couple of years that we've been doing this, our compost has turned into rocket fuel.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Leta said:
We use grey water from our washer's rinse cycle, and from our bathtub. We water the garden with it. We use all homemade soaps in the tub. We use homemade laundry soap, too, but it has three kinds of salts in it, so we just use the rinsewater. If we were to use the washwater, we'd need a filter, which we don't have.

We route the water (via tapping the pipes) into two 55 gallon drums in our walk out basement. We have a submersible electric pump and some garden hose. When the barrel is full, we place the sprinkler head and plug in the pump. Easy. If our basement wasn't a walk out, we'd have to figure something out with a window.

We've had no problems. Sometimes we use washwater to dampen the compost, and this seems to work really well. In the past couple of years that we've been doing this, our compost has turned into rocket fuel.
Filter for greywater. That is my next project. I just managed to get enough rain barrels to catch 240 gallons of rain...sans gutters. Too much to do around here...not enuff of us to do it. Or time. Or $$.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Leta said:

:thumbsup You gals are my mentor.

Tidbitz

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I am very new, just joined few minutes ago actually. I am wondering about this grey water, because I often think to try using it. But, could you filter it with charcoal? Heck maybe even drain some into a rain barrel?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome tidbitz! Youtube has many videos on greywater use and filters. Plus, alot of us are learning ourselves, on how to re-utilize it safely.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, charcoal would work. If you have the space, you could also route greywater through a "dry well"- a hole filled with sand and gravel, which replenishes the ground water and vegetation. The dry well would also take some wear and tear off a septic system.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tidbitz said:
Hi I am very new, just joined few minutes ago actually. I am wondering about this grey water, because I often think to try using it. But, could you filter it with charcoal? Heck maybe even drain some into a rain barrel?
Sand filter it before the charcoal. But I doubt that it'll be cost effective...