clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The lotion sounds really great. That might be just the thing for my heels and feet! I will have to try it, and I have the basic ingredients already.

This may sound like a silly question, but this looked like the right thread to ask it. :) I had bought some beeswax pellets, and they have an odd, very strong scent to them. I have never used anything with beeswax in it, so I don't know if it is normal. Any thoughts? I made some lip balm with it, but the smell is still noticeable, nearly overpowering to me, but I am pretty sensitive to some smells. Is this normal? If so, can I do something to remove or lessen the smell? Thanks!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Beeswax absorbs odors from the hive and from the environment it is stored it. Beeswax fresh from the hive smells like honey and propolis and, imo, there is nothing finer.

A great deal of beeswax sold for "crafting" is actually from China...big surprise.

If you want good quality beeswax, try purchasing it from one of the beek catalogues. I would recommend these:

Brushy Mountain
Queen Right Colonies
Dadant
Mann Lake
Glory Bee

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Way cool! Thanks! Do you happen to know how to make lip balm with bees wax?

Hopefully this time next year I will have some bees wax to play around with.
I made a moisturizing bar last year,and am still using it --mostly as a lip balm. Next time I make it I will get some of the actual lip balm containers to put it in. Works great!

4oz beeswax
4oz raw cocoa butter
4oz of a carrier oil
10 drops of essential oil
Melt the cocoa butter and beeswax together, you can use a double boiler, the microwave, or just a pan on the stove - but be sure not to heat it to the boiling point because it looses some of its nutrients when it boils.
When the beeswax and cocoa butter have melted completely remove from the heat and add the carrier oil of your choice and essential oil,

I used coconut oil as I could not get shea or cocoa butter. and I used sweet almond oil for the carrier oil. I did not add essential oils to this, as it seemed to have a pleasant smell on its own.

Latest posts