SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
SSDreamin said:
AnnaRaven said:
What cut of pork do you can?
I got a great deal on pork loin last year, and canned it all up. Interested in trying boneless chops this year, if the price drops to where I want it.
Do you can it in slices or what? With herbs or ...?
I can beef stew meat in chunks but pork just seems like it would be better in slices...
I cubed the loin. It was my first attempt, and I do regret having done it all that way. I chose to not add any herbs, so I could add which ever I wanted, based on what I was making, and just covered with a pinch of salt and water (as they can, the pork 'flavors' the water, making excellent broth). The chops will definitely go in as whole as possible. Also thinking of trying some beef, in steak form (from trimmed round steak) for quick swiss steak. I have been working with old recipes, but have recently bought Jackie Clay's book - she has opened up the possibilities for canning meat for me. ;)

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great thread! I've love to can some meat, since we are raising some chickens next year to harvest and I don't want to freeze them all. I've read that as long as you use a pressure canner and follow basic canning safety it's perfectly fine. I'd love to try it and see!

I had no idea you could convert freezers to run on solar power, I wish I was more technically inclined to be able to easily figure that stuff out, I'll have to do lot of reading on that. Is it feasible to gather enough solar energy in a northern climate in the winter? Most of the what I've read about solar seems to come from climates with much milder winters than we have.

Latest posts