moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I doubt anyone from North America will be able to help you out, as you've got an Australian import of a strictly Japanese model vehicle that isn't sold over here.

I've only ever seen one or two Hiaces, there are several Delicas running around my city, and there's lots of Skylines here as well--owned typically by "boy racer" right-hand drive import vehicle fans.

But they are very expensive to import, register, and license and I can't imagine what they cost to repair over here since they are all so rare.

I would suggest starting at your local library--there may be repair manuals available similar to the Chilton brand books that we have here in North America (which cover just about every make and model of North American and some import cars). We've borrowed the Chilton book for our '98 Ford Explorer from the library in the past and it's been quite helpful.

The other thing you can do is to phone around to auto wreckers/"pick-your-part" yards/car graveyards and see if they have the part you need--often you can get a real deal on parts through wreckers. Years ago we replaced the radiator in our '83 Chevy S10 for a song by buying it from a wrecker compared to the over $400 that the part cost new.

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day NC,the wreckers are the "go",although you may have to try in Hobart to get the part ,is that all that is wrong?..It may be worthwhile to take it off and take the old one with you when you go to the wreckers,as I think they used that motor in a lot of their models .........

Good luck with it ,T.O.R...........................

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are you looking for a free on-line manual? I've always had trouble finding stuff like that.

I would suggest you buy the manual. It'll be cheap compared to the parts. And it's worth having around for this repair and the next.

(BTW, the manual makes you more SS.)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, as TOR recommends, definitely take the old part when you go in to ensure that the "new" one is exactly the same--we always do this and it has saved us from buying wrong parts in the past. But also phone around first as well so you at least know that they may have the correct part.