111 here, and chickens are dying

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I officially hate Kansas. I just hosed down my parents flock with cold water, left them a bucket of ice water in front of their fan, and am getting ready to move them into the shop. Its cooler in there due to double insulation, and I can turn on the AC for them.
One chicken is already dead :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is horrible. :( Once I had to fill an old, pin hole-y, trough that was on legs up with cold water for the chickens. It would drip water in about 4-5 spots and create some shade. This was AFTER I dunked/soaked my tiny flock in a bucket of cold water. It helped.

I hate the heat. :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
All moved, and the swamp cooler is running full blast.
One of them I set in a bucket of cold water, and she just sat there.
Her heart rate is still too high for my liking.
Baby is awake now, and I need to get in a cold shower asap.

Late tonight, I will go back out and build a real enclosure for them, and add an extra fan.

Off for shower and cold kombucha...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Wow. Horrible heat! But yeah, Kansas does suck. Sweet people though :D

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It got up to 107 here today... calling for 109 tomorrow... I went out a little while ago and refilled the water containers with fresh cool water.. I have two rubber maid tubs for the ducks to float in... we shut down the bath tub last month and hubby shut down the kiddy pool yesterday... to help with water bill... It came in yesterday 254.00. I spray water on the low hedges we have in the mornings and the 3 ducks and 3 chickens jocky for postition under them.. I try and keep the soil damp to... they all love to go in the garage and lay too.. I think its hot in the garage but I guess the concrete is cool.. they also like to get under the cars in the car port and lay.. Just one more month to go and should start cooling down and start getting rain...

Oh I tried putting two of the chickens in the tubs of water and putting water on them to help them cool off. Chickens don't like water !!!!!!LOL.. I'm glad we have several big oak trees in back yard for more shade but its still 100 degrees in shade..
The ducks take full advantage of the rubber made tubes !!!! and love it when we turn the sprinklers on in back...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Ok, had a cold shower, but my face is still beet red :sick
Feel a bit better though.

Dad said that the swamp cooler will have the shop down to 75 degrees in about an hour :)
I love living where we never need AC. 30 below is a walk in the park compared to 111.
I do remember a couple years after we moved to Kansas, that there was one day of 120.
That is not something you forget.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have been experinecing above 100F temperatures ( or close to it) for the last month.

Last month, hubby had a job offer from Fort Nelson, BC. He turned it down.

Now with all this heat, I am seriously rethinking it. I can handle mild summer and love cold winters. This heat--for so long really does suck. My deal though is the short days in winter.

Serious decisions to be made though. we are moving one way or another. Just need to decide whehter it will be Ft Nelson, or somewhere closer to his work right now.