17 month old... diet, interaction, ect...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You should be on full-fat yogurt, too....it is the high-sugar flavorings in the commercial yogurts that pack on the pounds, not the teensy bit of good fat in a cup of yogurt...whole milk is about 3% fat so really, there are just a few drops of fat in whole milk yogurt (a serving.) Buy the quart size organic yogurt and some berries (fresh or frozen) and flavor it yourself....YUM!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The fat isn't the problem like freemotion said. It's the sweeteners, corn syrups, and fillers. Plain full fat yogurt is very nutritious. I either add berries or coco powder and almonds. Then I sweeten a bit with stevia or erythritol if needed.

Full fat yogurt will make you feel fuller faster. It will reduce cravings. Remember, FAT is ESSENTIAL as in we die or get very sick without essential fatty acids. Natural fats are your friend.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I would stick with full-fat dairy products since these fats help with proper brain and body development in little ones.
YES!!! Anything low fat, reduced fat, etc... is loaded with carby fillers and a child's brain NEEDS FAT! Your brain is made of saturated fat. Your lung lining is saturated fat. Deprive a kid of that vital nutrient and you get ADHD and asthma.
Tell that to WIC! they want moms to get low fat or 1% milk and low fat cheeses for dairy products! Not allowed ANY whole milk at all! Not for kids, not for pregnant moms, not for nursing moms, etc.

Which is the main reason I refuse to GET WIC (tho we qualify). I was drinking whole milk (and still do) and the Nurse at WIC told me (especially since I'm prego and need to watch my weight gain) to get 2% or lowfat milk and put strawberry or chocolate syrup in it to make it tasty! :th I'm not kidding!!!!

I bet she'd flip out if she knew I hope to eventually be using raw milk straight from my own dairy cow!

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you for the help!

I'm aware of the need for fat...

I couldn't believe they didnt have butter (they did just move though...)
Well they bought a vegetable oil spread *head desk*

Where can I get full fat yogurt? It seems like the stores only have fat free.. (So annoying!)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I have to go to Vitamin Cottage to get full fat yogurt. Some of the king soopers here carry Fage Total or Greek Gods, but you have to look closely for it.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went to 3 stores yesterday and none of them had yogurt that wasn't Non-fat or low-fat. I picked up the same one I usually do, it is plain and doesn't have any mystery ingredients, but this is getting added to the "Hubby, this is one of the many reasons we should have goats..." list.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We make our own :)

Heat the milk of your choice till bubbles start to form around the edges and steam rises (do not boil), then cool to very warm to the touch (stick your finger in) and add 2-3 tbsps of commercial yogurt per quart jar of milk as a "starter" culture, and keep the jars warm for 4-8 hours then refrigerate.

If the yogurt is runnier than you'd like, you can strain it by placing it in several layers of clean cheesecloth in a colander.

We eat it plain with berries and home made granola, or add a spoonful of home made jam or a bit of vanilla and maple syrup.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
garden pixy said:
I went to 3 stores yesterday and none of them had yogurt that wasn't Non-fat or low-fat. I picked up the same one I usually do, it is plain and doesn't have any mystery ingredients, but this is getting added to the "Hubby, this is one of the many reasons we should have goats..." list.
Even the Greek yogurt I've seen has no fat. I only found the large tub of Dannon plain to contain fat and no mystery ingredients. Not Orgainic, but it will do for me for now.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yogurt is easy to make once you find a method that works with your equipment. I have used the cooler method with good success. Google it. Very easy.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good job wanting to make some changes for this family!! I'd make the changes slowly though, if her system is used to this junk, it might shock her system to have all these healthy changes quickly! I would switch out the milks an yogurt, and then start including fresh fruits and veggies with her snacks, and cutting back on the amount of junk a little bit every time so that she doesn't refuse the changes.

I'd also avoid having snacks all the time! For my kids, if they snack all day, then when it comes to meal time, they only eat a little and avoid the veggies! I really only do one or two of snacks a day. We'll do breakfast: eggs or yogurt & fruit or oatmeal with a choice fruit & nut toppings (they love having the dishes set out and getting to decide what to mix in) Just be cautious with nuts at her age. Usually I skip snacks until after lunch. I'll do raisens and pretzels, or dried cranberries and a graham cracker. Their favorite though, is to go out to the garden and pick their own carrot! wash it with the hose and munch away!

Speaking of garden, one of my kids favorite activities is to halp in the garden, they LOVED planting seeds, and watering, and watching the things grow. I would definately include her in your garden plans! It will probably encourace her to eat more of the veggies if she has a hand in growing them.

Good luck and good job!!