1950 Cost of Living

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My Mom sent me a particular booklet since I was born in 1950. It's called Rember When, and it was put out by Seek Publishing. I thought it was pretty interesting so I thought I would share some info from it with you on what life cost in 1950.

Living

New House $8,450.00
Average Income $3,216.00 per year
New Car $1,511.00
Average Rent $75.00
Tuition to Harvard University $600.00 per year
Movie Ticket $0.65 each
Gasoline $0.18 per gallon
U.S. Postage Stamp $0.03 each

Food

Granulated Sugar $0.85 for 10 pounds
Vitamin D Milk $0.84 per gallon
Ground Coffee $0.70 per pound
Bacon $0.50 per pound
Eggs $0.24 per dozen
Fresh Ground Hamburger $0.49 per pound
Fresh Baked Bread $0.17 per loaf

Now if we went back to these prices but I kept my current income, I could budget pretty well!

Do any of you remember these prices? The best I can do is to remember gas at $0.24 per gallon.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's a little B4 my time. :rolleyes: But, I have the same type of booklet (if I can find it) from 1961. :/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Even though I was born a few years later, I can remember being on a family vacation and seeing gasoline for 19 cents per gallon. We had stopped in a small Texas town where the two local stations, both on the same intersection, were having a price war. The cheapest that I can remember buying gas myself was 32 cents per gallon. I was filling up my mini-bike.

I do remember getting excited upon seeing an ad on TV with the salesman saying that they had brand new pickup trucks for only $17.50. I had more than that saved in my piggy bank and I want to buy one for my dad for his birthday. Then my mother burst my bubble when she explained that it was actually $1750. :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
some things I sure understand as fact...like the cost of a stamp. nationwide obviously....the rest, nope I don't believe in these averages at all.

it is dependent on your location.

there were rents way cheaper than $75 and rents way more expensive into the $1000s even.

I hate averages. Averages tell me nothing but of course they are a starting point. Give me cost of gas, yup that is real, cost of that stamp, yup, real. after that it is a real crapshoot for me.

so much is so different in each area. tv prices are different in every store, buying a phone, property taxes can be lowered etc. if you file correct papers etc. etc.

I do get the 'averages' but when you put it against a location and try to be more specific it just falls apart.

I don't know, why do I not like averages so much HAHA

(does that make sense lol)

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, so in 1950, an average income earner could buy an average house for about 2.5x annual income.

According to wikipedia, in 2007, the average income in the U.S. was $31,111 and the median house price was about $250,000 (average house price was about $300,000). So the average person buying the average house was looking at 8-10x annual salary.

Yowza.

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just had a 40 something birthday. I remember lining up at the gas station at the foot of the hill... all 6 of the kids and my mom driving so we could get gas on our day. Then years later the summer i graduated from HS, I paid $.79/gallon. Might not have remembered that except I was going through some old papers... and I found the receipt from the MOBILE station that said that.

:idunno today, I drive as little as possible so that we have gas when we need it. :bow

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'd prefer those if they adjusted for inflation. How much were people making per hour versus those prices.

It's hard to know if we are paying more or less without a comparison. I mean, if you are in a country and get paid a buck a week, .24/gallon on gas is really expensive.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If the average income was $3200, they were making about $1.50/hr if that helps.

Latest posts