1st Egg From 1st Chicks I Hatched

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a vicious, mean rooster that hated me and I hated him right back. Every day I took a 4' pine branch in his coop so I could club my way in and out, just to feed him and his hens. I told our 2 year old grand daughter "We're going to eat that mean rooster!" Which later, we did! But in the mean time, I wanted to hatch some chicks, so I kept him. After hatching, we slaughtered him and I simmered him all day, picked the meat off the bone and divided the meat and broth into 4 containers. We just ate the last of him. A rooster crowed while we were keeping our grand daughters this weekend and the 2 year old exclaimed "You have another mean rooster!" Me-"Do you want me to kill him so you can eat him?" Her-"Yes, I do!" Gotta love that kid.....

Anyway, yesterday I fed the pullets from that hatching and there was a small blue egg. My first egg from the first pullet that I incubated the eggs and raised the chicks. The 10 year old grand daughter had a friend with her, who was fascinated with the blue egg. She asked if she could eat it, of course we said yes, and the 10 year old scrambled eggs for themselves.

Today there was another one...... :thumbsup

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wonderful for the kids to see and appreciate where their chicken and eggs come from too! And the blue egg colour just makes it that bit more special :)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule that's great! Fun story all around, and it's good to know something good came from that rooster besides a few good meals! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes it is an awesome feeling! Today I got 4 blue eggs!