-20 and goats are COLD! Much better!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
All six of our goats are cold.
Ample hay and warm water are always available.
I fed them hot Alfalfa pellets this morning.
Nothing is working.

So, I hauled out the TINY ceramic heater and hung it in a metal basket.
Its not going to actually heat the building, but, as soon as I had it going, two of the goats planted themselves in front of it.

DH and I have been brainstorming.
I have researched what various farmers are doing all over Alaska.
I honestly have a hard time believing the ones that say their open air raised goats never shiver.
The goats we have, have always been in open air.
They were shivering a bit when we first saw them.
And for all intensive purposes, they are all quite healthy.
Now they have a building that I have never closed the big door on. So similiar, but with better shelter.

When Dh gets home, we will throw together a sleep box in the corner for them.
I plan to leave half of one side open.
The heater will be inside there.
This way, they can at least hang out in there to keep from shivering, but still have plenty of fresh air.
Hay and water will still be out in the main area.

They do have good ventilation, by way of the huge greenhouse fan near the roof.

So, to all you goat owners. Is there anything I should change?

Oh, yeah, windchill of -30 by tonight as well, as being -20.
True winter is here.

Should also add, I have been reading the blog of a Fairbanks goat owner, and they have a fully insulated inner barn, with an uninsulated outer room for feeding and an access door to the run.
They use a heat lamp in a metal cage in the inner room.
But, they also have -40 temps for 2-3 months.
http://wildrootshomestead.blogspot.com/2009/12/interior-doe-shed.html this is an old post that shows what they do.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The heat lamp sounds like a good idea. Maybe petition off a section in your barn and put em in there with a heat lamp and plenty of straw.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just be carefull of heaters and heat lamps in the barn. Remember, goats are frisky little creatures, and if they are out there "dancing around" they can throw straw into the heater or heat lamp. Make an inner box, inside the barn, that is barely taller than they are...and just big enough to fit them all in , laying down. Fill it with warm hay...and make sure there is no breeze entering it. My little pygmys are out in the pasture, with a wooden crate just bog enough to fit the 3 of them. They seem to be doing fine, and the temps here have been in the below zero range as well.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Get small or childrens coats or sweaters at the thrift store and put them on the goats backwards with their front legs in the arms of the coat and zip it on top of their backs. Cut off any excess sleeve length to fit their height. Just don't let them get wet, this is for indoors only. :D

I think you can buy sheep and goat coats ,they look just like horse blankets.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Just be carefull of heaters and heat lamps in the barn. Remember, goats are frisky little creatures, and if they are out there "dancing around" they can throw straw into the heater or heat lamp. Make an inner box, inside the barn, that is barely taller than they are...and just big enough to fit them all in , laying down. Fill it with warm hay...and make sure there is no breeze entering it. My little pygmys are out in the pasture, with a wooden crate just bog enough to fit the 3 of them. They seem to be doing fine, and the temps here have been in the below zero range as well.
I have the heater in a wire cage, strapped to the wall.
I just checked on them.
They are all cuddled up in a circle around it.
And doing much better.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Old Sew'n'Sew said:
Get small or childrens coats or sweaters at the thrift store and put them on the goats backwards with their front legs in the arms of the coat and zip it on top of their backs. Cut off any excess sleeve length to fit their height. Just don't let them get wet, this is for indoors only. :D

I think you can buy sheep and goat coats ,they look just like horse blankets.
I've looked into blankets/coats, but the trouble is that its too artificial and can cause hair/coat issues.
I would absolutely do it with a sick goat though.
At least this tiny heater disperses quickly.

I have our remote thermometor out there.
I am going to check what it says now...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thats good! Nothing worse than a cold animal. SPeaking of I better go check on the chooks.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Yay!! The heater brought it up 8 degrees. Just neough to help a wee bit without really heating the place!

Now I just need to run around and gather the materials for a sleeping box.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Goats are hardy creatures. So are my ducks. But with that kind of cold I would be doing something extra too. I don't worry down to zero, but below that, you have to give the critters a hand.

Sectioning off an area with the heater sounds good. The wire basket is also a good idea.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Goats are hardy creatures. So are my ducks. But with that kind of cold I would be doing something extra too. I don't worry down to zero, but below that, you have to give the critters a hand.

Sectioning off an area with the heater sounds good. The wire basket is also a good idea.
Thats what I figure. Even -10 is not too bad, but last year, we had 6 weeks straight of -30.

We have plans for the chicken coop next year. Or sooner if need be.
We are going to take the tiny roosting room ,and make it the main roost room. That way they are packed in at night