2019 Heirloom Seed Swap

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Is anyone interested in having a traveling seed box? You receive it, take some seeds, add some seeds, and mail it on to the next recipient?

Anyone interested in participating needs to be able to pay shipping to send the box to the next recipient, and needs to be okay with the risk that there might not be seed they like in the box.

mrghostwalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You have a good idea- and I think you are correct in that people will get the box but not the seeds they want.
What about starting a seed exchange in this thread. People can list what they have or want.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool idea but I am far too irresponsible . I'd forget about sending the box out until next season lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the idea but, yeah, shipping is $$$.

I'm more into the "whatcha got -- whatcha need" Truly, I am loaded with seeds! Just need weather to co-operate. Sometimes we want a hard to find thing....others may have.

A friend and I sometimes swap started plants (both local) and also share over production items. Plus, I get her figs & give her eggs. :D We have 3 limbs started to root for me. Eventually I can have them growing. :idunno She doesn't LIKE figs, but trees there when they bought house over 25 years ago. I dehydrate and scoff them up!!

AprilInVirginia

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is a good source to get the seeds you want, sometimes for just postage. Clever idea, but a bit wasteful shipping seeds all over the country just to take a ride.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i really encourage people to work with their local library to set up a seed library if they are willing to do it and also to attend any local events you can because they are fun and a great way to meet people. :) alas, the seed swap is cancelled this year but i'm going to try to talk to the library which does have a seed library started and i've already donated seeds to that and i need to check out if any need to be replaced or not next time i go to town and ask the manager if i can do something else more informal with the samples i've already packed up. even if i just take them there and they leave them out for anyone to take is fine with me.