2021-22 Cold Winter

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it has been above average so far this early fall and the next week is no chance of frost that i can see so still a mild season. it is nice to just be able to not have to run the AC or the heat.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
In February, we had a snow and ice storm here in east Texas and -6F degrees! I never in my life experienced MINUS degrees. We got 2 ice storms and 2 snow storms, totaling 10" of snow. That might be laughable to a lot of you, but for east Texas, that was record breaking. We have no snow equipment for the roads, and the idiots make the auto body shops happy.

I don't want a repeat of that!
I was is Alabama once in the 1990s when they got about an inch of snow. Because they didn't have road salt or sand, snowplows, and NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE ON SNOW.

It was so dangerous, even for someone who could drive on snow. On family vacations my dad only pulled off the road twice due to weather. Once was a legit blizzard in the Dakotas that police were blocking roads and setting up cots in a VFW for travelers. The other was 1" of snow in Alabama, because the other drivers were so dangerous.

The Texas freeze was equal parts funny and horrifying. People not realizing they could put their non-perishables in the snow, for example. It proves how valuable KNOWLEDGE is in SHTF.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
after living up north i learned pretty well how to cope with the driving and also just surviving. down here it's a cakewalk in comparison. still we have the propane tank for heating and the fireplace is converted to propane so we won't freeze to death in any kind of power outage.

as for keeping warm in the cold the biggest issues are keeping dry and not wearing clothes/boots/mittens/hats/socks/shoes/scarf so tight that your blood doesn't circulate. extra layers are much better than just one. if you have lung problems it helps to have a very thick scarf to breath through as long as it will let in enough air. the heat from your breathing out will warm up the air coming in (a mini-heat-exchanger). i have a few very thick rings of knitting that are my scarfs that fit one on top of the other and i can go out in -20F with a wind and still breath ok.

the only thing i really want and have tried to remember to buy for many years is a good pair of eye goggles for the wind so i can see better (instead of trying to see through a very tiny slit in between the hat and the scarfs).

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In February, we had a snow and ice storm here in east Texas and -6F degrees! I never in my life experienced MINUS degrees. We got 2 ice storms and 2 snow storms, totaling 10" of snow. That might be laughable to a lot of you, but for east Texas, that was record breaking. We have no snow equipment for the roads, and the idiots make the auto body shops happy.

I don't want a repeat of that!
Yeah.. . That was crazy apocalyptic for Texas.

Kept blowing my mind. Your cedar trees exploding and song birds falling over dead.

Very much NOT Texas.