20lbs - I guess I need to make some Tomato sauce LOL

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to be canning all these tomatos, I actually have about 40+ lbs of Tomatoes hanging around the house waiting to be canned.

I don't own a pressure canner, and I have heard there are ways to do this in a water bath canner. The varieties are beefsteak and roma tomatoes.

And.. This is what I picked today, 20lbs of Tomatoes and peppers... there is 20 more lbs upstairs and more still on the plants

yikes.jpg

X-posted to TheEasyGarden forums...

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ha! I was in your position last week. I made barbeque sauce, taco sauce, and spagetti/pizza sauce. All the stirring while cooking down is tiresome, but worth the work. Enjoy all your tomatoes!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
You can just water bath tomato sauce if you don't put anything else with the tomatoes. If you do, it changes the acidity.

I've done 5 qts so far and alot more tomatoes in the freezer to do later.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just got done with processing 2 bushels of tomatoes..thats approx. 110lbs! Spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, and canned tomatoes for cooking with. I am thinking about getting somemore corn!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
IT'S NOT FAIR!!! :barnie I'm still waiting for enough tomatoes to ripen just so I can make a full batch. :he

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
IT'S NOT FAIR!!! :barnie I'm still waiting for enough tomatoes to ripen just so I can make a full batch. :he
Don't be too upset! I have a drawer of 19lbs of Toms ripening upstairs under a heat lamp LOL ... Some of my plants just weren't ripening because it got so cold here randomly.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those are some beauties! My tomatoes have been so ugly this year. Lots of cracking due to cold, wet weather.