24 lbs of sausage

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just cleared the freezer enough room for a cheap turkey when over the road DH announced joyfully he had overage of 2 cases of pork sausage. Not complaining but I needed that space for a turkey. Possible to pressure can sausage? I only have regular mouth quart jars left and don't want to purchase more jars.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Can you precook it and then freeze? Sausage shrinks ALOT! I have no clue about canning it safely, just thought shrinking it would be the next best choice :)

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great find!I`ll take sausage over turkey any day:drool

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only issue I can see with canning sausage is that fat will be drawn out of the meat during processing and you may get some seal failures if it gets between the lid and jar rim.

But try some and see how it goes :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have seen lots of info on canning ground cooked hamburger I don't see why you couldn't do sausage. I would do a search on it.

g

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love sausage tons and love turkey tons...so for me I have to put up both somehow :D

24 lbs of sausage is not that much truly. We sold packs in 2 lbs. and 6 lbs. So that would be 4 of the 6 lbs.

You could fry and crumble and freeze. Great for adding to gravy, meatloaf, and more.
You could fry patties for quick breakfast sandwiches. Buy the time you are done cooking it with the way the crumble package would be you could easily fit that 'around' the frozen turkey.

I can get tons into my freezer :lol:

I can take 24lbs of sausage down to very doable freezer packs....and remember, just eat a few of the 'older' things in the freezer over the next week. by the time you do that sausage room is ready.

I do that. See sales coming and plan meals around what I have oldest frozen. You gotta move it and use it so...

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it is time to start searching Craigslist for another freezer!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You can can the sausage in a pressure canner for 90 minutes I think. You have to fry or bake it then pack into jars with the drippings as a liquid. Im pretty sure thats how it goes.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The rule when it comes to meat...is if raw..just fill your jars and process to required time...think it would be 90 min
if cooked meat...add..broth...

TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ground items or pork...Boil first....what is great about this is a lot of fat comes off in the boiled water...
and what dosent...just is solitified on top after processing and just scrape off after processing...
it is just so easy to through a jar in a recipie calling for ground beef rather that having to fry grounds over and over