25lbs of white rice...what to do with it?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have some of the old tupperware, like the large canister set. The biggest one holds almost 10lbs of sugar, the next size down holds my rice and the small one I use to put in seasoned flour for "shake and bake". There is another size to this set that is shorter and wide around, but I've lost the lid to it.
I also have the one very large size container that does hold a 10lb bag of flour. It originally came with some kind of plastic carry handle that I've since lost but never used that part anyway. I love the older tupperware cause the canisters and containers were larger and great for long term storage and can't ever find it anywhere.

Anyway about the original post about rice, I don't use it often either but when I do I make extra so I can have my fried rice since nobody else likes it and like with noodles I always have to have a bowl with butter, salt and pepper-hmmmm good!

hildymarie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Large quantities of dry goods like the rice or whatever, I like to freeze before storing.
I seal it up in whatever quantities. I like to put stuff like that in 1 gallon zipock type bags and freeze deep in the big freezer for at least 3 weeks. i like to do it longer. Actually best is large glass jars. Sometimes if you ask, bars will save you their pickle jars. That is if they still get such things in glass.
Freezin like this will kill any little critter eggs that is usually in everything and lets you pull it out and put it in storage without having to worry about going to get the next jar/bag out and find it full of something.
If you have room in the freezer anyhow, you can even leave it in there.

()relics

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We seem to always have an abundance of rice around here too...I try to make some sort of rice dish or just a giant sized pot of rice Mid-week, every week. The leftovers are easy to reheat and work for any meal. Come Saturday morning, during hunting season anyway, I am usually up early in preparation to "hit the fields with the dogs"...I have 2 German shorthaired pointers, valuable assets and friends, so while we are enjoying a little breakfast they, After they finish their usual breakfast, get to enjoy and have learned to expect their small pre-hunt energy treat....You guessed it, left-over rice heated slightly and topped with a raw egg, from my chickens of course...never from a "factory" chicken. You may think this is CRAZY...My vet nearly had a seizure when I told her; after she asked why my dogs looked so healthy and had such nice coats even after hunting them hard for a week straight in the "North Woods of Minnesota" they did get it everyday, I just brought a giant zip lock bag of cooked rice and 2 dozen of my eggs...Again this is MY dogs may not work for yours but My dogs after their energy meal hunt like they are super-charged...And their coats are perfect and oily....Who really knows? I wouldn't feed them this mixture everyday, unless you plan on running them long and hard, they would be so fat they would never leave the couch...
You know ,as I am writing this, I wonder if a person, if they so desired, could package the larger bag into smaller portions and, maybe, see if a food bank or soup kitchen could use some of it...Or would BIG BROTHER step in with reasons/laws that only they can be the ones to do the "handing out"...Again Who knows?...I think I am going to try.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hummmm what to do with rice.... I cook brown or white rice at least once or twice a week with dinner. Dog and Chickens eat the leftovers.

I have rice as part of my emergency storage because it's something we use. 5 gallon bucket of long grain and 5 gallon bucket of short. Brown in the freezer.

I love the idea of using rice as a quiche crust.

My Mom used to grind it and cook it for breakfast as a hot cereal. Leftover rice with milk cinnamon & a touch of sugar for breakfast. Yum!!

Rice and beans combined equal a complete protein. Definitely a budget stretcher.

I think I will be experimenting with rice flour soon. Try to make some substitutions in regular recipes.

good luck,

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
When we bought the bog ol bag of rice I really was thinking long term....goo thing to have on hand. But I did not realize how infrequently we eat it!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know it's not good for us,but we love white rice,it is so versatile. It is great instead of mash spuds,in soups, cassoroles, and lets not forget rice puddin.My DH is from the south and grew up on hot rice for breakfast, my favorite way is just with salt and butter, this is what I want when Iam sick.
Today I cooked up a a big pot of neck bones,when cooled pulled the meat off and added rice to the broth, this will feed the bart cats for a week.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Make your rice
--rice cooker
OR
--3-4 hours in a small crock pot that cooks only on high

Add milk, sugar and cinnamin--raisins, optional. Mix well. Cook for another and, voila!!, RICE PUDDING!! The easy way!!! :weee

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm half Filipino, so I eat white rice EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Mornings, when I eat a traditional breakfast, it's rice, eggs, hotdogs, with soy sauce or a sauce made with patis (fish sauce), green onions, and tomatoes sometimes with jalapenos.

lunch can be fried fish with rice and whatever else
dinner rice with whatever too. Even fried chicken lol
but we also make fried rice and spanish rice.
It's just our way of life haha