3 yr old throwing up

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My DD was throwing up last night and I was wondering what to give her today that won't upset her further. I gave her a little organic blueberry yogurt for breakfast and she doesn't want to drink anything but water for now. She has a touch of diarrhea (sp?) this morning too. I don't know what made her sick it just happened all of a sudden. She isn't doing much but laying on the couch under a blanket yelling at her big brother at the moment.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BRAT. Just remember that acronym for upset stomachs. It's been in use for a long, long time successfully. Soft foods, easy to digest, and REhydrating.
Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast
This also works for sore throats, morning sickness (not for a 3 yr old! lol), and general tummy aches. Don't forget lots of water and orange juice!

edited to say rehydrating foods, not dehydrating!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always overload the kids with yogurt when they are having intestinal issues. I look at it like this. Their body has hit the emergency evacuation button for a reason. Surely, the good bacteria will be evactuated with the bad so why not add more good to hopefully balance everything out. I also let them have as many veggies as they want/can eat as that is food for the healthy bacteria. I'm cautious with the bananas as my kids will actually get diarrhea from them if they have than 2 in one day.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
She's asking for saltines.....that's all she'll eat. Oh well, better than nothing. I'll try some applesauce later and I'll see if she can handle some orange juice. Thanks!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I mostly try to stick with the brat diet....or a variation of it. Saltines are great if that is what she wants.

I would pass on the dairy until you are sure her tummy is settled.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I personally never give fruit or dairy when someone has an upset tummy. Usually give saltines and water or toast and water. Then I move to OJ and yogurt when I'm sure nothing will come back up. Hope she feels better.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
She ate a couple bites of a bagel with a touch of cream cheese and had a little orange juice. She still seems really tired....we were planning on going to the park and the library this afternoon but looks like maybe tomorrow.....she just had a "juicy poot" a little bit ago....poor thing. Had to change her clothes.

Gonna make some mac and cheese with chicken and a little broccoli mixed in for dinner and see if she'll eat some of that. She wanted to go for a walk this morning and apparantly her definition of walking is me pushing her in the umbrella stroller while she cuddles under a blanket in 80 degree weather. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone....if she doesn't go for dinner I may just see if I can get some toast in her, I made a fresh loaf of duck egg bread yesterday.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The BRAT diet sounds good to me.
Bananas are high in potassium
Rice is soothing
Apples cure what ails you (they are effective for both diarrhea and constipation)
Toast, should be very dark, the "charcoal" helps absorb the toxins

I wouldn't worry too much unless it lasts for more than 24 hours. My DD used to throw up and get upset stomach all the time.
You mostly want to keep her hydrated, offer her drinks, herbal tea (peppermint, chamomile) and juice. Watch the sugar intake though. Saltines are fine.
If she craves somthing, it is probably exactly what she needs. Just consider the nutritional/medicinal value of what she is asking for.

If it continues, get some gatoraid and give it to her. I would mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with water though. You can drink too much gatoraid and it will cause an upset stomach too.

edited for spelling

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Juicy poot! Funniest term ever!
Probably a lot less funny to the mama who gets to clean it though...

Goofiness aside, I hope your little one feels better soon :hugs