30 Day Homesteading Challenge - October 2021

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Day 3 - Plant an edible
20211012_080142.jpg

I planted romaine seed for microgreens or baby lettuce. I tried growing microgreens in soil a few years ago and it was a mess. I'm trying paper towel this time. Its under artificial lights I already have set up for my houseplants.

My family had the BBQ lamb sandwiches last night. Homemade bread, BBQ sauce and homegrown lamb. It was good! It got me thinking that I could make red pepper flake spice.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

😲 I have had access to explore wild spaces since childhood and have never seen (noticed?) these plants.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My baby step for Day 4 is I bought 2 foraging /wild edible books by different authors. I took a class by one of the authors and his #1 safety tip for foraging was to check at least 2 books by 2 different authors before eating a new foraged food.

One of the books includes preparation /cooking instructions.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got my days out of order. Day 5 was Replace One Pantry Item. I have making dry mix for Lipton's Onion Soup mix on my to-do list but havent done it yet. I made hot cocoa mix today, but it isnt a new recipe for me.

Day 6 - Start a Ferment (again)

I had a cup of leftover sprouted wheat berry mash. I guess that can sit out for sourdough starter and I started a ferment 🤷‍♀️

Day 7 - Bake Bread

Baking bread isnt new to me, but starting with wheat berries is brand new to me! Mine were sprouted so I tried making bread. Its rising now, I will update. Its odd dough, I'm not hopeful.

Sprout wheat bread thread is here: https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/sprouted-wheat-berry-flour-and-grain-mills.16953/page-3

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm going to delay Day 8 - Research Animals until the next time I cycle through this challenge. I want to learn about pigs, but I am too short on time or energy to add another animal (much less a new species) in the next year. I won't have time to read about pigs in depth for a couple weeks. :(