40 Items to stock up on before a SHTF situation

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! My dh would do that if he could, lol. He loves ground beef...
This is our oldest son who eats paleo/keto. He travels the world, usually lives in India, and comes back to the States for a few months. So he stays with us. At first he was eating 4 lbs of ground beef a DAY. I told him that I couldn't afford to feed him. He buys a quarter cow at a time.
I'm telling you, after a few months of smelling that, it's easy to be kinda vegetarian.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At first he was eating 4 lbs of ground beef a DAY.

LOL! I'm a meat eater - but that's too much for me to even think about!

I'm telling you, after a few months of smelling that, it's easy to be kinda vegetarian.

So, I can imagine that some broccoli would sound real good after all that meat!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a serious amount of ground beef per day!

I have lard canned from piggies butchering, for cooking. Also a stash of goat milk soaps, various combinations of oils. None are made with the lard but, could be. Grandma used lard and the lye she made with wood ash and rainwater. I buy food grade lye for my soaps -- easier & safer if selling, for strength, purity etc.

Yeah, talk bad and you can wash out your mouth with my soaps -- :lol:. I use it, my daughter and a couple friends. Used to make & sell at markets and seasonal fairs/festivals. Had to give that us a few years back with mom here & her care took time demands. BUT -- with retirement in the future, I do plan to start that back up again. It's fun and profitable.

TSC has a couple fish antibiotics in stock at my local store. Generally I get them from Jeffers OR some amounts from my vet, where I also get some banamine, and couple stronger antibiotics for "on hand" that are just for animal uses. Been with same couple vets over 20 yrs.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Not to change the subject, but a person who lives off the grid or in the backcountry ought to have a stockpile of socks and replacement shoe laces. I broke a shoe lace and destroyed a pair of socks today because I wear them until they disintegrate.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're right on that. We keep extra laces for hubby's boots because we have to go to the outdoors store for the stronger ones he needs.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So after you wash the fat, how do you make soap?

I make sure the clean tallow from the burger grease is dry. It's solid from being in the frig or freezer, so I just pat it with some paper towel. You have to melt it so you don't want it splattering from moisture. Then follow any basic soap recipe - fat, lye and water.
Son made a wooden mold that holds his batch of lard or tallow soap (60 oz of fat), so we just wrote the ingredients on the lid of the mold. Sorry, I can't remember where I got the recipe, but Mother Earth News rings a bell.
We talked about doing the wood ash for the lye, then decided not to mess with it.