1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Our Hearts go out to Notre Dame - Our Featured Thread on our sister site "The Easy Garden"
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

40 Items to stock up on before a SHTF situation

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by sumi, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Mar 17, 2019
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

Interesting thread, we all would make a few changes to suit our own life style.
    Personally, I'd chuck:
    TP (a few cut up t-shirts make family cloth)
    All the paper/disposable items except for first aid stuff
    Toothpaste (baking soda goes a long way)
    Cigarettes (I finally quit smoking after I thought I was going to die a few years ago)

And I'd add:
    Stock up on lentils, rice, TVP and beans (we eat all of those) and skip RTE meals.
    Chlorine tablets - we buy them in a 4# jug. You can smack 'em with a hammer for smaller pieces.
    Learn how to make an herbal equivalent to some the medicines I take plus pain relievers - mustard plasters, etc. Some medicines just don't have a homemade twin, you know? I currently have 6 months of back up drugs.
    This would be the time to get some elderberry planted and try to stay as healthy as possible.
    Some bee hives would be good, but it's not going to happen here or where we are eventually moving as that city ordinance doesn't allow beehives, for pete's sake.
    Cans of shortening make a decent candle.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Mar 17, 2019
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

I couldn't do a family cloth unless absolutely no other choices like dried leaves or grass twists. Ive been meaning to grow some mullein.

I remember Grandma complaining about washing diapers by hand. It was a long, horrible process and then boiling the diaper in lye water after.

I think the water pitcher is a better method than a fabric cloth. That's how it's still done in some places without toilets

Marianne likes this.
  3. Mar 18, 2019
    Marianne

I use family cloth now. There's actually very little urine on the cloth when you wipe and it's easily washed out. I still use TP for poo. Screw that. Ha! So, it's not like washing a load of diapers. Doing diapers like our grandma's did....I'll pass.
    I'll have to google the water pitcher method. Our nomadic son complains about having to use paper when he's in the States. I've never asked what he does when he's in India or wherever.

chicken girl, sumi and Hinotori like this.
  4. Mar 18, 2019
    Hinotori

Urine isn't really an issue. Very little bacteria is picked up when leaving the body. It's the poop that causes issues.

Hubby said when they stopped off in Malaysia or somewhere over that way on one of the Navy cruises that the public toilets were a hole and there was a hose to clean yourself. He wasn't sure how to do that. I explained you use it like a hand held bidet. He said he doesn't know how to use that either.

I remember when camping or hiking growing up we'd have to dig cat holes and use grass or pine needles. Grass twists worked better. Unless you knew the broad leafed plant, grass and pine needles were safest.

If a girl squats to urinate, she has little to no urine left of her. Learning to squat to pee in jeans without getting undressed was fun as a little kid.

Marianne likes this.
  5. Mar 18, 2019
    Hinotori

Water pitcher method. Pour water on left hand and rub wet hand on bum. Rinse and repeat until clean. Don't contaminate the pitcher.

Marianne likes this.
  6. Mar 18, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I think I could do pretty well with a few weapons (guns, knives, hatchet, axe), ammo and a fish pole with some hooks. I don't think I would go hungry anyways.

7. Mar 18, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Almost Self-Reliant

I guess that's why the left hand is considered UNCLEAN in Asian cultures. :sick

8. Mar 18, 2019
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Yeah... I'm going to stick with stocking up on toilet paper... bleh.

I think a suppressor would be a good thing to have. Nothing like announcing you've got guns, ammo, and fresh meat like loud gunshots!

9. Mar 19, 2019
    Marianne

:yuckyuck

10. Mar 22, 2019
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

My preps are nonexistent. Just kinda forgot about that stuff with homestead life. I do keep some water, oil lamps nd first aid kits

Lazy Gardener likes this.