401K's?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Has anyone ever just cashed out their 401K's?? Is it hard? Do you HAVE to claim/prove some kind of hardship?
I know you have to pay a bunch in taxes and that is ok with me.
My DH lost his job and he had a little bit in 401K left from that company and we were thinking about taking it out and paying down our morgage.
Any advice?

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I lost so much of mine I just cashed out. No it wasn't hard, nobody asked why, I did have to pay taxes, federal and state. You can choose the rate, the min is 10 %, just like regular wages. I have heard of several people cashing out and applying it to their mortgage.
My husband still has his and hes calling it his 1k.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
His 1K! HAHA!!
Ours is already half of what it was a 2 years ago! I think I am of the mind that I would rather pay some of it in taxes (tax guy already told us how much) than to lose ALL of it in the stock market!

Reaction score
You could switch it in to a safe fund instead of paying the 10% penalty and all the taxes. I switched mine last July so it's still ok. Only makes about 2% because it's in treasury bonds. I'll switch it back when the market comes back. You might be able to get a loan against it. You pay the money back with interest to your 401k. Don't know if you can still do that if the job is gone.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You're going to pay a 10% penalty and the income taxes due on it. Think long and hard, you'll lose quite a chunk of it by cashing it in early.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Borrowing from your 401k is generally not a good idea.

Let's say that you borrow $10,000 from your 401k. In order to pay it back, you have to earn the $10,000 plus tax in order to have the $10,000 free and clear to replace that which you borrowed. So you will have to earn $13,000 or so. Let's say you do this. Now this $10,000 is back in your 401k, and everything is great until you take it out. When you take it out during retirement, you will pay tax on it again!

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
His 1K! HAHA!!
Ours is already half of what it was a 2 years ago! I think I am of the mind that I would rather pay some of it in taxes (tax guy already told us how much) than to lose ALL of it in the stock market!
Thats the way I felt too.......... I didn't pay a penalty, only taxes. I will say, that all the advice I received was to leave it alone and not cash out. Its a hard decision.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I cashed mine in, paid only taxes, we did have to claim hardship - and at the time it was no lie.

We saw no use in watching it drop like a stone and lose everything we put in it.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
I cashed mine in, paid only taxes, we did have to claim hardship - and at the time it was no lie.

We saw no use in watching it drop like a stone and lose everything we put in it.
Did you have to prove a hardship or did you just have to 'say' hardship?

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had to say hardship and describe what the hardship was - ie. I had just lost my job.

No supporting documentation was required.