$5 Christmas Gift Exchange

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to attend a work related Christmas party on Thursday and just found out there is a gift exchange with a $5 max. I need ideas!!! :idunno

I work for a church run camp and it's one of three in the area. The party is for all three camps which means, I only know the 4 other folks who work at my camp. They stress outdoor education and protecting the environment so I can safely assume they all follow the reduce, reuse, recycle principal.

I really dislike the concept of gift exchanges...being forced to buy a gift for someone randomly. To me gift giving it a heartfelt process. If I could graciously bow out of the whole event I would but it was specifically mentioned that we all needed to attend and make a good showing.

Suggestions on gifts under $5??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you know if guy or gal? if not then you have to get that 'kinda everyone git" lol

I would spend more. I have been forced upon those exchanges and $5 is 'for lack of a better word' lame.

I would either give something I make at home (and is a nice worthy gift) like a few bars of my goat milk soaps, or I would spend about $10 and get a nice (something everyone can use) gift.

like: A CD. you know your area and the basic music heard by all
Small gift basket of nuts and such. nothing weird, nuts and such are kinda what most people can handle and eat or give away easily
different hot chocolate basket. if adults don't want, kids will love
or something for a desk at work...nice small pen/pencil set for a workers desk.

I mean truly...in these situations what can be expected?

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you do any canning? Most people enjoy a jar of homemade jam (and perhaps a bread mix).

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah...with a price limit of $5 and for folks who like to recycle, etc., I'd MAKE a gift.

A box of homemade and premium brownies in an attractive tin is a good one....edible and the tin is reusable for many things. Print off the recipe on an attractive card stock with a holiday border drawn or otherwise and tape it to the underside of the lid of the tin. Personal, homey, delicious...and one they can reuse.

An attractive basket filled with pine cones steeped in spice scented fragrance/EO oils and accented with a beautiful ribbon is a great gift for those with hearths and fireplaces. I just insert a little hand-crafted card that instructs to use the pine cones as fire starters and as a lovely way to scent the room for the holidays. Baskets can be purchased fairly cheap at dollar stores and such. Same with the ribbons and scents....the pine cones come free wherever you can find them.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if it'll be for a guy or gal so I was leaning towards a basket with homemade goodies. My garden was a failure this year and the only thing I have canned that would be gift worthy is a little apple butter. So maybe some apple butter and a bread mix in a jar?

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A packet of open polinated organic seeds.

A nice glazed flowerpot stuffed with something from the garden: mint, oregano, chives...

A pretty bowl filled with fresh something: berries, baked item, nuts

A small LED flashlight

Thick wooly boot socks...wait, that's over $5

A box or other recycled container with a plant divided from the garden: daylilies, sunchokes, mints, wood violets, tree or bush seedlings, etc., with instructions.

A nice big mug with tea packets, or the tea-bag style coffee.

Custom made bar soap - glycerin, goat milk, whatever.

A jar of homemade jam, ketchup, relish, salsa, with the recipe.

A stack of classic/vintage garden magazines from Bookmans.

---------------------------- oh. These are all things I'd like to get myself!

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you have a dollar store in your area this should be easy. First, pick out a container with a lid. Our local dollar store has some ice cream bucket ones with handles and cute designs. Then fill with $4.00 worth of stuff that you find: ornaments or other decorations, snack food, holiday dishes (like cups or glasses), bath accessories, hygeine items like shampoo and body wash with a scrubie, tools, whatever you can find. If you haven't spent time in a dollar store you will be surprised what all they have for $1.00!

If you don't have a dollar store, I say go with the food gift. They are always nice and won't go to waste.

We once got a gift from a neighbor that I thought was so cute and have used several times. She gave all us neighbors a bottle of pop with a package of microwave popcorn attached (tied on to the top of the pop bottle with curling ribbon she had threaded through the popcorn's plastic) and a cute label that read, "Just 'popping in' to wish you a Merry Christmas!" The pop was the cheapest kind you can get at your local grocery store. It was very clever! For you, you could even give the whole box of popcorn and still be under budget!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
If it's a $5 exchange, I'd stick with $5. We had one with our kids at 4H last night, and it's a little frustrating when the gifts are wildly unequal because some are $5 worth and others way more. Not really fair.

We did lip balm that I make--3 varieties in each little bag.

We sell our organic popcorn for $5/quart, so that would have worked, too!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is true Gals.
I saw that at the exchanges. And that one gift no one ever wants. lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SB, that is a great idea. Something alive. Small potted herbs or flowering plant or something. Brighten up a winter at least!