$5 Christmas Gift Exchange

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Find a pillar style candle-plain white, unscented for just in case the person has allergies. Decorate around it w/some plastic flowers, greenery, etc. If you can find the stuff in a dollar store, you can make something really nice for under the $5 w/no problem.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy the same thing for almost every Christmas gift exchange where I give to someone I don't know - Christmas ornaments! They're sold at the dollar store, usually in packs of 4 to 8 so it's a sizable-looking gift, they're shiny, they come in their own box so they're easy to wrap, etc. I discovered that idea a few years ago and have run with it ever since. They seem to be well-received, too. Usually stolen at least once if the group is doing a "Santa steal" type of exchange.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
It might be best to just go out and get a new job, who needs that kind of headache...Call the NAACP, the ACLU, and the UN, I'd bet on my neighbors farm with the SPLC to boot - all of these are less than $5 plus they send a nice card.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck
XPC you are funny

so how goes the possible marriage situation?

:p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I like the idea of giving something useful....how about a cookbook? You can find some decent ones in the bargain bins at most stores.

A potted plant is a great idea, especially in an office.

Do you drink tea? You could buy a coffee mug from the dollar store and then stuff in lots of different individually wrapped tea bags for a sampler or buy a sampler box of teas for less than $5 total.

I like jar mixes...you could easily put together one for cookies or brownies or soup from items in your pantry.

How about a $5 gift card to an ice cream shop, my BF gives $3 gift cards to Brewsters to her daughter's teachers...just enough for a sundae or cone.

$5 gift card to Starbucks?

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like the scratch off lotto ticket idea!! I decided on a jar of my apple butter a quart jar with an apple muffin mix that I made (only had to buy dried apples) and I found a small pine scented candle for $1. Not sure the total given most of the things I had here at home but no more that $7.

As it turns out the "party" has been changed into a work day full of learning workshops for each department. I get to hash over menus and tips to slash the kitchen budget in between silly games and a hike thru the woods! :tongue Total Bah Humbug!! They have our day planned from 9am-3pm...oh joy!! The gift exchange is more of a grab a gift on your way out the door!!