5 Water Storage Myths

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What also makes me "think" is this .....

When we have an actual emergency -- no notice, planning, etc. -- we sometimes get the "instant dummies" factor and forget what we know & have prepared to do. Plus, depending upon the actual situation, you may have to run and be able to utilize virtually little to none of the preps. This is when knowing how to do some things is necessary.

When we know it's coming -- weather issues mainly -- we still sometimes need a day to get into gear with what we need to do & use as initially we just kinda "freeze". A list taped onto the back of a door may jog memory:p Candles, matches, lamps & oil, conserve water, etc., to get you to think about what you really need to do, use, salvage.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get some life straws plus a portable family size water filter and this article keeps nagging at my thoughts. It's hard when you are poor.
Get the big coffee filters and use them to strain water. You could also build a sand strainer, using the sand to filter the water. Then boil it to kill germs. It would beat nothing.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If disaster strikes, I'll be at your house. I'll leave the mushroom water! :rolleyes:

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think I'll just add a jar of beans or leftover soup to the pot to make up a full canner. At least that's the plan.

Beans or soup should be done in a pressure canner.It is your choice though. I have never had a jar break in the pressure canner.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good post. Water is a concern of mine. I don't have a pond or a well. Wells here run about $12,000 and go down 600 feet. We are on community water, the well and tank is 1/10th of a mile from our driveway. But if it all shut down? There are several ponds around, but I wouldn't want to haul dirty water from them.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am guilty of thinking #1, that our 3 ponds and well on site would be safe to drink no matter what calamity.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All of this bug out bags, grab and run....run to where? Do you have scenario #2, a safe place to run to, and what are your chances of getting there? Run? Nope. I figure I AM the place to run to. If my area was so bad that I couldn't stay here, I would die of starvation, thirst, exhaustion, and whatever else there is, so might as well just stay put. Joining throngs of zombies is not my idea of survival.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have wildfire to worry about every summer and very little we can do but bugout if it gets too close. The threats of earthquake and volcanic eruption are more distant, but we might have to bug out for them as well. Other threats I think we would be best off staying put.