4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am not sure if you would like this but after my children were grown and having children I found the patterns for old fashioned baby gowns that I remember my mother making for my baby brother. They are made of batiste or soft flannel and fun to hand sew with the french seams and a bit of embrodiery. If you want soft, good quality lace the amount you need is small so the fact that it can be pricey is off set.

The patterns are available online Old Fashioned Baby is the one I like best, just google heirloom sewing patterns for baby. I bought 1 basic pattern for gowns, you can make them longer, put a drawstring thru them for nights, make them from any soft cotton, print or solid etc. The pattern is basic so you can adapt it as desired. You can shorten it for diaper shirts.

There are also smocking patterns if you know how and really like to hand sew. A basic bishop pattern can be adapted so a little girl can wear it for a long time and either sex could wear it as an infant.

I raised boys but they wore gowns at home especially at night until they were several months old. Easy for changing diapers and keeping feet warm. (Baby clothes went commercial and to china to be made in the last 30 or 40 years and onsies and sleepers then became the 'appropriate' attire.)

Fleece is adaptable and great for hoodied jackets, wraps, sleepers as well as blankets. The newer double sided fleece is softer but you can't just tie the edges off because it ravels. I also like to use flannel for blankets single or double layer. Sometimes I get a soft cotton print and back it with flannel.

Toys are fun to make. Coloring books or pics make nice applicays and can be size adjusted on the 'puter. You can make a small stuffed animal and attach it to a pocket of the garment you make etc.