boxermom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
patandchickens, I believe my mother just boiled the tongue. I'm not sure for how long. I would assume until tender. Then she peeled it and sliced it. My Dad loved tongue sandwiches. I didn't mind the back of the tongue, that was like meat, but I never cared for the spongy parts. Mom and Dad are coming to visit in June, so I'll fix the tongue then for Dad and DH. That way I know it won't go to waste.

Ox tail is a favorite of ours, except I can't find anyone that will cut it at each vertibrae. I only can get it in sections. I've tried cutting it at each vertibrae, but I don't do a very good job. My favorite part is scraping the disc off with my teeth. I know, gross... :sick That is what we did as kids. Yummy! :drool

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
There is a traditional mexican way of making tongue, "lengua"....it is good but I don't know the recipe. I've had it in burritos.

I will never eat kidney, it smells WAY too much like urine. :sick

I've eaten heart but do not care for the texture of it and the texture of liver is gross, except I do like romaki....sp?, the way you wrap it in bacon and that sauce as an orderve.....

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Kidneys are WAAY better than one would think. The thing though is to have them a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y fresh. As in same day as you kill it. A lot of times they're hung with the carcass for a day or two. Don't. Eat them immediately and they're GREAT! Wash 'em out and you're good to go.
Liver? It can wait a little longer than the kidneys - but not too long either! Slice thinly, fry in butter w/bacon and eat with mashed potatoes and lots of apples and onions fried together. droooll.... Hey - OFG - When we killin' them pigs you're gettin?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
boxermom said:
Ox tail is a favorite of ours, except I can't find anyone that will cut it at each vertibrae. I only can get it in sections. I've tried cutting it at each vertibrae, but I don't do a very good job. My favorite part is scraping the disc off with my teeth. I know, gross... :sick That is what we did as kids. Yummy! :drool
I have an ox tail in the freezer from 1/2 calf I bought. Being wrapped in butcher paper, I have no idea how it is cut up, in sections I suppose. Ok, now what do I do with it?