lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bet the grocery store personnel just hate them! You'd have to weigh EVERY different kind of container when you come in the store, and then they'd have to either reset the scale, or manually calculate the offset for the weight of the jar for EVERY purchase.

She buys cheese and loads it into her jar - same thing. Oh, the deli can slap a price label on right there, but what they CAN'T do, is just whomp her piece of cheese onto the scale. There's still the gloves they handle it with (disposable), and the piece of plastic they have to put on the scale under her cheese.

Meat would involve the same thing.

I can't imagine trying to do that with more than two kids, or if you are shopping infrequently.

We bake most of our own stuff now though, and are growing more and more of it, but we still have garbage.

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting concept but I couldn't live like that. There are too many products that I buy that require packaging for sanitary reasons.

I have reduced my trash by over 50% in the last 10 years by buying mostly in bulk and canning / dehydrating.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't get that hate mail comment either.

I guess it is because she has no art on her walls. But she said she just couldn't find anything she liked, so obviously that person was looking for an insult whether it was there or not.

I already have to read every label in the stores, and have to get picky about so much in the stores. Just can't imagine it being more trouble than it already is.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We only put out less than an average plastic grocery bag of garbage every week thanks to composting and recycling--glass (although we keep a lot to re-use), metal, paper (we print/write on both sides of everything), and plastic with a number on it--but we sure don't take it as far as they do.

Their house doesn't seem to have any personality, and seems huge for 4 people who don't have any stuff.

We love our books, and although we all have library cards and get most of the books we choose to own from used bookstores and thrift stores, we don't have an aversion to buying new when we find something.

We love our family mementos and photographs. Maybe we could fit them all into one bin per person, and only take them out once per year to look at, but we prefer to surround ourselves with photos and art.

I work at home, so I have office supplies etc. all over the place. Most waste that is generated is recyclable (printer ink cartridges, paper, envelopes etc.) but not everything is. I do actually have and use several fountain pens because I like how they write, but they use little ink cartridges made of plastic. Maybe these people only used bottled ink and an ink well? I bet their kids' teachers love that...

And regardless of what food packaging one takes home from the store, there is still waste involved in getting that food to market--bulk food comes out of larger packages that are disposed of by the store, and as mentioned all that cheese and meat came out of some sort of larger package.

The article and video definitely made me stop and think about what more I can do, but I'm sure not there yet!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm.....would it be more attractive if they lived in a small rustic cabin? I think what they are doing is great. It is not my goal exactly, but we've certainly greatly reduced both what we consume and what we throw out.