abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch/stitches/

I use the ladder stitch to put two hems together, or when the seam needs hidden.

I use buttonhole for TONS of stuff. Any time I hem by hand, I buttonhole it to give it a pretty finish, and use it to put on decorative trim as well.

Running stitch, of course.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you are doing a lot of mending, you might want to google "darning" as well--it's a repair technique for knits (usually socks or hose). Makes 'em last longer, and can be decorative if you have to/choose to darn the toe area on both socks in a pair. :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
yes. i want to learn to darn, as well.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ack! I had to darn socks and mend the whole time I was growing up. Hate it, hate it, hate it. We used an old light bulb in the sock when we darned.
I grew up learning how to sew clothes, made tons of those for me, our daughter until she was in her teens, even made my wedding dress. Now I wear jeans and t-shirts.

Loved hand quilting, though. I'll mend now if I absolutely have to, but I will not take up jeans for the adult kids. They can pay $5 and have someone else do it.
On the flip side, I will make curtains and window treatments like Roman shades for this house with 30 windows before I pay for poorly constructed premade.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
You melt it together, usually. Low heat, so it won't fray any further.

You can also cut a patch and zig zag it to the holed fabric.