abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yeh. I've mended lots of that style of petticoat :) It's not too bad at all to do! If it's a straight line tear you can wide zigzag the tear itself and close it.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Ack! I had to darn socks and mend the whole time I was growing up. Hate it, hate it, hate it. We used an old light bulb in the sock when we darned.
I grew up learning how to sew clothes, made tons of those for me, our daughter until she was in her teens, even made my wedding dress. Now I wear jeans and t-shirts.

Loved hand quilting, though. I'll mend now if I absolutely have to, but I will not take up jeans for the adult kids. They can pay $5 and have someone else do it.
On the flip side, I will make curtains and window treatments like Roman shades for this house with 30 windows before I pay for poorly constructed premade.
LOL..... you ad me both! And to top things off my mother was a professional seamstress for years! Not "invisable".... rip it out and do it over! Grant you I am very good at mending and darning, but only do it if I HAVE to now!

I would love to help teach you but I'm more the "show you" type teacher.:/

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry for the bad memory, Marianne.

I recently learned how to darn socks and it's great. I usually do odd jobs like this while doing something else that doesn't require much attention---like watching a movie with The Wife. It's pretty much free and has probably saved me 20$ in socks just this year.

If you don't like darning, buy good socks. I've had good luck with SmartWool. Off brands, including some from Target, sometimes get holes with only a few days of normal use.