Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have also been thinking about crops that the average person would not recognize as food. This would help safe guard your food stores.

Amaranth, Jerusalem Artichokes, regular Artichokes, Brussels Sprouts (people can't identify them on the plant for some reason), Daylily, Sweet Potato and Potato (people around here have PROVEN they don't know what those are).

Can you think of others?

Daphnetree

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Robert Heinlien said that " A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Of the above list I can do most of them, except conn a ship or solve equations, not sure about fighting or dying. While I have never butchered a hog, I have helped skin and dress elk and deer. I also can deliver a baby (retired midwife), grow a garden, make herbal medicine, bake bread, build fires, sew and set up a tipi, make pemmican, tan hides, teach, set up communication gear, and am very good at organization and logistics.

What I think will be the most useful skills in a TSHTF will be the ability to communicate, cooperate, plan, have good resource management skills. Even if it gets apopcalyptic, not planning on living off the land in isolation, as working with family, neighbors and community is more of a practical way to utilize limited resources. Can't do everything. Don't want to. While I do think there may be increased crime and "zombies" of people not prepared wanting our "stuff", my life experience has so far taught me, people when given a chance will help and share.