a 3 minute tour of a house made from mud near missoula, montana

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, mud and logs. And a bit of straw bale. Most of the materials came off the land where it is built.

A house the sequesters tons of carbon. Zero paint, glue or cement. The heat from the summer heats the house through the winter.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do visit the Permie's website sometimes. Have for a while but as a lurker. That's a REAL project in that home.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i would love to build i tiny place with huge water tanks under it that i can shove extra heat into throughout the summer and then use that for heat during the winter. it is pretty efficient to solar gather heat and then move it around with small water pumps if you don't have much resistance in the system. any solar needed to run the system electrically can be sized to the needs of the pumps and so you don't need batteries at all because they are just moving water when it is actually sunny anyways.

i also like a hot water system design that would be similar in that the pumps are only needed when it gets sunny enough and otherwise the whole system drains back to where nothing can freeze in the winter on the cold days.

Miss Lydia

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love your home. Thanks so much for sharing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, mud and logs. And a bit of straw bale. Most of the materials came off the land where it is built.

A house the sequesters tons of carbon. Zero paint, glue or cement. The heat from the summer heats the house through the winter.

The heat from the summer heats the house through the winter. What does this mean exactly?

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

That looks warm and comfy... And I highly think that it will stand every weather, It looks very sturdy. I hope we can build one of those here in the Philippines.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The heat from the summer heats the house through the winter. What does this mean exactly?

a form of geothermal energy storage and harvest.

it is common in northern areas and alternative construction to bury pipes that you can move air through (passively is best, but if you have solar energy during a hot day you can move air via fans too) and that heat will be absorbed during the hot days and cool air will trade for the heat during the cold times. underground is usually a fairly stable temperature in comparison to the air temperature.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
a form of geothermal energy storage and harvest.

it is common in northern areas and alternative construction to bury pipes that you can move air through (passively is best, but if you have solar energy during a hot day you can move air via fans too) and that heat will be absorbed during the hot days and cool air will trade for the heat during the cold times. underground is usually a fairly stable temperature in comparison to the air temperature.
That's good and all. But isn't it hot in the afternoon? Is the heat not searing in the house? I just thought.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you've never been in a cave? they stay fairly cool if the sun and wind are not directly going into them. the thermal mass of the earth is normally cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter here (once you get below what is called the average frost depth).

look up the ideas of thermal mass and passive heating/cooling. they work. :)

Latest posts