A Breadmaker too much work?

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a kinda-friend whom I was talking to the other day and mentioned I had made a loaf of bread (from my breadmaker) & soup for ds' school pitch-in. To which she responded, "Ugh, I have one I haven't used in over a year, they're just too much work." I asked her how and she didn't really give me an answer. It was kind of a "We're such a BIG family, that they (loaves) just don't last in our house." She has 4 kids (one that is an infant) and always loves to remind people :hu I suggested she donate it to Goodwill if she wasn't using it. Heck, that's the whole reason I got a breadmaker, to make it easier!

Anywho, this is the same woman, after I mentioned I was thinking about raising meaties and even trying to butcher them myself, I heard a "Ugh GROSS" I asked her how eating chickens that I fed and treated with dignity, were gross. I got the blanket response "Well, I just couldn't do that."

I guess people just don't realize what they're missing :frow

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There are many..... :rolleyes: They live all around me, work with me, go to church with me...... those who feel that what I am doing here~attempting to live more sustainably~is not worthy, too much work, inhumane or just plain weird.

And I just smile and go about my very enjoyable, very interesting little bitty life. I don't have to live my life vicariously through a TV show nor do I have to complain about health issues during every conversation.

I just smile quietly and think about my little green acre, my soft and pretty animals that happen to taste very good, and my bread that is not too much work and taste like bread should. :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
I have a kinda-friend whom I was talking to the other day and mentioned I had made a loaf of bread (from my breadmaker) & soup for ds' school pitch-in. To which she responded, "Ugh, I have one I haven't used in over a year, they're just too much work." I asked her how and she didn't really give me an answer. It was kind of a "We're such a BIG family, that they (loaves) just don't last in our house." She has 4 kids (one that is an infant) and always loves to remind people :hu I suggested she donate it to Goodwill if she wasn't using it. Heck, that's the whole reason I got a breadmaker, to make it easier!

Anywho, this is the same woman, after I mentioned I was thinking about raising meaties and even trying to butcher them myself, I heard a "Ugh GROSS" I asked her how eating chickens that I fed and treated with dignity, were gross. I got the blanket response "Well, I just couldn't do that."

I guess people just don't realize what they're missing :frow
So, does she make bread the "old-fashioned way" to feed her large family? Or is that also too much bother? Well, that's why we have supermarkets, isn't it? I don't have a bread machine, but I also don't have a large family - just me and DH. And yes, occasionally it is too much bother, but I usually do it anyway, because it tastes better!

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, she buys it at the store...all of it! She said something about the loaves from the bread maker not being large enough for her family. ITA it does taste better :D

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
There are many..... :rolleyes: They live all around me, work with me, go to church with me...... those who feel that what I am doing here~attempting to live more sustainably~is not worthy, too much work, inhumane or just plain weird.

And I just smile and go about my very enjoyable, very interesting little bitty life. I don't have to live my life vicariously through a TV show nor do I have to complain about health issues during every conversation.

I just smile quietly and think about my little green acre, my soft and pretty animals that happen to taste very good, and my bread that is not too much work and taste like bread should. :D
I know I haven't met one person in "real-life" that does or even thinks about making some SS changes. Which to each is own, but...I love it :love

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My family loves all the bread making I do for them. I LOVE my bread machine. I usually make bread every other day sometimes every day. Occasionally, I will buy a loaf of bread from the store if I am not feeling well or something , usually just have my Daughter pick it up for me but most of the time we have fresh bread or rolls in the house. The people around me in my little town think of us as weird but even those that have eaten my bread and rolls just love it . They even think canning is weird around here. :idunno

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
More and more folks are moving away from canning here....feel it's unnecessarily hard work.

"Why grow a garden and can it up when you can buy it cheaper from one of those bulk stores?"

"With all the time and supplies you have in it, it isn't very cheap to do your own."

My own son....my very own son wanted me to buy bulk beef from Costco! :he :he At the suggestion of his FFA teacher!!!! :smack

He just couldn't understand why I couldn't do that.....blah, blah, blah about how it would save work and be cheaper in the long run than raising my own meats or trying to kill a deer or two. :rant :duc

Lazy offspring!!!! :smack

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I hear it as well. They talk about me being out "playing in the garden" or in the kitchen "playing with her canning jars". They talk about how cheap it is to just buy veggies and not "bother" with growing them.

Then when we go somewhere and they are FED those store canned veggies they all turn up their noses at them and won't eat it. "It just doesn't taste very good" they say like they can't possibly understand WHY it tastes that way. Too rotten spoiled they are. :/

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can understand the breadmaker not making enough. My family of 4 can eat an entire loaf of homemade wheat bread in one afternoon. Its just that good. So yeah, to look at it that way, it takes 4+ hours to make one loaf of bread in the breadmaker and it wouldn't last an hour in a large family. Store bought bread isn't as exciting or as yummy, so therefore lasts longer. Its why I never buy sugar cereals -the kids eat an entire box in one day!

I bought my breadmaker at a garage sale 13 years ago from a newlywed couple who got it as a wedding gift.

We just planted fruit trees and spent a ton of money on soil amendments. We don't do it because its cheap, we do it because we like it, and we want the opportunities for our kids to know hard work and where food comes from.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
A while back someone posted a recipe for "artisan" bread, it was quick and easy, no kneading or punching, just pinch a loaf and cook it. The recipe is more tasty than any store bought bread and have been adding more whole wheat flour to it as I get use to it.

Is this the same person who says eggs don't come from chickens, they come from grocery stores - you SS people are so stupid.