A Different Clam Chowder

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rhode Island Clam Chowder is less well known than it's more popular sisters- New England style and Manhattan style. It's the true seafood-lover's clam chowder, containing neither dairy nor tomatoes to mask the fresh sea flavors.

• 2 oz. thin-sliced bacon (2 to 3 slices), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
  • 1-1/2 oz. unsalted butter (3 Tbs.)
  • 1 large yellow onion, cut into small dice (about 2 cups)
  • 4 tender inner celery stalks, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick (about 1 cup)
  • 1 Tbs. finely chopped garlic (2 large cloves)
  • 6 cups diluted clam broth,
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups clam meat, finely chopped
  • 1-1/2 lb. large potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1/3 inch), about 3 1/2 cups
  • 2-1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (or half that if using dried)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Put the bacon in a wide heavy-duty 4- to 5-quart pot or Dutch oven and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to turn crisp and golden, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Pour off and discard the bacon fat, leaving the bacon in the pot. Add the butter and onion and cook over low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until the onion is sweet and tender, about 10 minutes. The onion shouldn’t color. Add the celery and garlic and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes more. Add the clam broth, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.

Remove the soup from the heat, wait until it stops simmering (this may take a minute if you’re using a Dutch oven), and stir in the clams and chopped parsley. Season to taste with black pepper, if desired

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds yummy. I'm going to have to try it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It kinda reminds me of bouillabaisse except it only has clams instead of a whole slew of seafoods.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks wonderful but we rarely get fresh clams here, and when we do I don't trust them.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
same here, so I just use the canned chopped clams; it still tastes pretty good.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
OK, I got what I need and am ready to try this. I might not follow the recipe exactly, but that's OK.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I will be making this again! I followed it to a point, and loved it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Haven't made this in years, but I need to take soup for a dinner tonight. Figured I'd make something different, and make this. I couldn't remember where I got the recipe! Went nuts trying to find it online and in my various cookbooks, then decided to try here. Bingo!

Just a bit of info, this does not taste as good if you cook it in a crockpot. I did that years ago, and it wasn't as good. I will be using a crockpot today just to keep it warm.