A general gardening question!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
As far as the clay soil and amending it, you can also help yourself by choosing a spot a bit uphill to aid with drainage. I amend mine(clay soil in SW TN) with manure and all the animal litter we have around here which is a lot. It has been amended for a couple years now, but I have hauled in a dump truck load of aged horse manure, added about the same from our animals, and applied a ton or better of litter, and tons of leaves. Clay soil is generally VERY good fertility wise, it just really is lacking in structure. If you can get the structure adequate for drainage and good root system, then you will have a great garden. It does take time though.

Do a few online searches as far as yield of plants. I know a few off the top of my head...tomatoes in general you can expect 15-20 pounds per plant on average, pretty close to the same for squash and cucumbers are about half that. Johnny's seeds has a chart on their website that will give you an idea of yield per 100 foot row. Go from there to guesstimate how much you want/need, then plant accordingly.

I wish you all the best of luck with it, clay soil is pretty labor intense to get it "right" for a good garden spot. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
And stay away from root vegetables until you get the soil loosened up. They usually aren't productive in heavy soil.

Latest posts