A greenhouse out of scavenged glass?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anyone here ever constructed a homemade greenhouse out of scavenged windows and other such materials?

I've had a thought forming slowly in my mind and it started with finding another set of opaque shower doors thrown out in the trash. That makes me having 2 sets of pretty thick glass with a moisture sealed edge....and swans on them! :lol:

I've also scavenged two sturdy screen doors, various pieces of tin....and I'm getting an idea for building a greenhouse extension off the side of my outbuilding, as it faces south/southeast in the winter.

You can just see the side of the building I plan to use in this photo....it is the cellar house behind my house.

5508_imported_photos_00009.jpg
[/img]

I've decided I'm not really into cold frames all over the property and would like to consolidate my winter planting in a more accessible place in which I could harden off seedlings, grow tomatoes in in the winter and maybe a few other potted goodies. I would build removable shelving units in the back of it that could be removed to allow more space or put back in place to set trays on in the spring.

I was thinking of painting the back wall of the greenhouse a darker color for heat absorption in the winter, or would I need something better than just wood siding to absorb any significant amount of heat?

Anybody have some good pics of homemade greenhouses built out of these type of materials?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I get the MEN e-newsletter, where they had plans to build a greenhouse out of used storm windows. I am working on a modified version for an addition to my barn for the chickens and rabbits and quail.

Here's the link:

http://ipost.com/form/motherearth/v...ampaign=DIY&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

I won't be doing a green house, but just a bright addition for my pets, so I don't have to provide extra light.(just as soon as I was talking about it, i got the email giving me instructions.--weird but good)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks! Have bookmarked this for reading later. The one in the pic is a bit more fancy than I had figured on but I don't want it to look like Tobacco Road either, if ya know what I mean! ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah-- I hav a feeling the windows they used in there greenhouse wer not recycled ( in the sense that you and I would consider recycled), but regardless-- it is a start. My hubbs has his own plan in mind--but it is good to have a reference.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this too, but with everything else going on this year with moving it is going to have to wait til next year same way with my root cellar :hit Keep us updated !

Ps hubby says congrats on finding a flat spot in WV for your farm. He use to coon hunt down there alot and says he has never seen a flat spot.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Here is a link to some simple (fairly) lean-to greenhouse plans. I believe that this one uses lexan panels so I don't know if it will help, but you may get some ideas.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Here is a link to some simple (fairly) lean-to greenhouse plans. I believe that this one uses lexan panels so I don't know if it will help, but you may get some ideas.
Well, that link certainly helps me, hopefully it helps Bee too, Thanks!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Before any of you guys build a green house....
READ THIS ARTICLE!!

http://www.survivalplus.com/foods/page0009.htm

THIS is the reason I bought those 5 gallon jugs I told you guys about. :D

I also just got my first permit for the new shed(which is going to have a greenhouse attached to it, they just do not KNOW that yet! :D :D )
Should be able to start construction in a few weeks. And before anyone says ANYTHING, there WILL be photo's!!
We plan on growing food year round, right here in Ohio :cool: :cool:

http://www.catalogclearance.com/products/sku-GH1600__dept-166.html
http://www.palramhort.com/index.html

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
SKR8PN, THAT'S the article I was looking for....not so much as for the construction advice but for the heat storing and design suggestions.

I,too, was planning to use growing bins constructed right on the floor of the greenhouse, instead of containers. I would like to have deep bins of soil on all walls. I plan to put hinges on some of my glass panels(shower doors) so that I can prop them open in the summer to allow for air flow.

I'm going to ask at the hotel where I dumpster dived these wonderful 3 gal. sturdy white plastic jugs(square) and see if I can obtain enough to use for heat storage in the winter. I am building wide shelves along the back wall and the jugs will fit perfectly under and on them.

With the soil bins directly on the ground, this should allow for the entry of earthworms and other beneficial nematodes into my soil beds.

I'm hoping to have this thing constructed before next winter and make use of some ugly bare ground around my building and cellar. This should also help keep my cellar insulated more in the winter as it will be constructed next to part of the wall of the cellar.

Of course, the chickens will lose some of their dusting places.... :rolleyes: But I'm sure they have plenty left to fill the bill! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm......wondering if I can use those jugs for a dual purpose? Storing raw ACV in them instead of using water? Then, as I empty each one for use with the livestock, I could just refill it with water and replace it in the greenhouse. :)

Latest posts